Mature Cherry Tree

Newbie here.....new to your site, and at gardening, so any answers, please don't make them difficult for me to understand, will you?
I've just moved into a bungalow, with a very mature cherry tree, I would guess 30ft high. Down the bottom of the trunk, in a section, and also at the top, kinda where the branches start coming out, there are bore holes in another section. The bottom bit, to me, looks sort of dead in that place.
The tree is such a beautiful feature in the garden, that the last thing I want to do is to lose it.
Please, please, can someone tell me what I can do to save it.
PS. Now please don't all be alarmed, you gardeners, but as a dog owner, I'm having 'astro-turf' fitted up to, and around it next week. (I did tell you I wasn't a gardener, didn't I?)
--
squaredog

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 14:59:15 +0000, squaredog

T R O L L ! ! !
Newbie here.....new to your site, and at gardening, so any answers,
please don't make them difficult for me to understand, will you?
I've just moved into a bungalow, with a very mature cherry tree, I would
guess 30ft high. Down the bottom of the trunk, in a section, and also at
the top, kinda where the branches start coming out, there are bore holes
in another section. The bottom bit, to me, looks sort of dead in that place.
The tree is such a beautiful feature in the garden, that the last thing I want to do is to lose it.
Please, please, can someone tell me what I can do to save it.
PS. Now please don't all be alarmed, you gardeners, but as a dog owner, I'm having 'astro-turf' fitted up to, and around it next week. (I did tell you I wasn't a gardener, didn't I?)[/i][/color]
T R O L L ! ! !
Well, thank you Brooklyn........such a warm welcome!
--
squaredog

On 3/1/12 6:59 AM, squaredog wrote:

To save the tree, I strongly suggest you hire an arborist to examine and treat it.
If you lay down Astroturf, it will prevent rain from irrigating your garden unless the plastic mats are perforated. Non-porous Astroturf over the root zone of the cherry tree will surely kill the tree even if it did not have borers. (The "root zone" is the area around the tree under the farthest-reaching branches. If you cut back the branches, however, that does not reduce the area of the root zone.)
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Call in an tree company.
There are many things to look at and we can't tell from here.

As long as it lets water through it shouldn't bother the tree.
Dogs and gardens don't mix. Don't get your hopes up.
--
Dan Espen