Mattock

Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

The usual mattocks are much too heavy.

Thanx

Reply to
pixi

Lee Valley Tools has great tools. You can see if they have anything that meets your needs here:

Vox Humana

Like another poster mentioned, Lee Valley tools are very good quality. I've found good tools at the local farmer's coop (farmers do not have the time to mess with cheap tools). Lower quality tools at Home Depot and Lowes. True Value might be okay.

Reply to
Phisherman

The great thing about Lee Valley is that the carry some unusual things that I don't see in any stores in my area. I got one of their sod lifters and I use it a lot, especially this time of year when I am prepping new beds and edging old ones. Their prices are reasonable too.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Try A.M. Leonard.

Very good service, IMHO.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

All you may need is a new handle.

Any farm supply store (Southern States, Tractor Supply Co., or home improvement (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) place should have a selection of handles. Take the mattock head with you and see which handle fits best.

Mattock handles usually are not wedged into the socket, so replacing one is easy.

All bets are off if the mattock is one of the Groundbreakers brand that has the square socket. I've never seen replacement handles for them.

J. Del Col

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I did, of course, look at Lowes, Home Depot, various hardware stores, and farm stores before I got on the internet to ask about a lightweight mattock. Had to go 70 odd miles for Lowes and Home Depot. Looked in the Leonard catalog. Nothing. All of course had the heavy weights but no lightweights.

I also cruised the internet but didn't come up with anything.

Someone named Jim sent a rather odd looking message. Most of it was in the subject line and not all there. There was an internet address however. For someplace called Midwest Rake. They have what they call Ugly Tools and a lightweight mattock.

Thank you Jim, wherever you are.

Pixi

Reply to
pixi

Look into an "Italian Grape Hoe" The handles may be fitted a bit higher than waist high but- -

Reply to
Beecrofter

You wanted a hand mattock?

That's what the Ugly Mool mattock is. They have short handles.

are similar. I own one; it is lightweight and very useful, but it certainly isn't "waist high," unless a person is about three feet tall.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

No!! Definitely not. I can't see breaking shale with a hand mattock. I had not read the description carefully enough. I realized later that it was a hand mattock. And I sure don't need that. Don't think an Italian grape hoe would cut the mustard. I need a pick on one end to crack into the shale. I live in the mountains where the shale is only an inch or two below the surface and sometimes not that. We order so-called top soil by the truck load and then remove the shale and replace it with the so-called top soil. I keep saying so-called because this is clay and the only way it is different from the rest of the soil is that it has no stone or shale in it. But it is an improvement over what it replaces.

I was born and raised in Michigan where the real top soil can be 15 or more feet deep so it is kind of a low blow to try to cope with the land here. But you can't beat the scenery!!

Going into town after while and try to get a handle for the one I have. I think I got this mattock at the Vermont Country Store 10 or 15 years ago but they no longer have them listed in their catalog.

Thanks again.

Reply to
pixi

Have you considered a Pulaski? They're a bit shorter... about hip-high, but they can move. Head weight is about 3.5 lbs iirc.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

To all who sent helpful suggestions, thank you much. Found a handle yesterday and the fellow at the store even put it on for me. It's a couple of inches shorter than the original but I'll bend a little more.

Thanx again.

Reply to
pixi

I have one of these. It's a great tool, but heavy.

The real name is "Grading hoe." I don't know why Leonard calls it a "grape hoe"

It is used to establish road grades or to make terraces on hillsides--which is frequently done in vineyards, so that may be where the "grape" comes from. It does a very good job of clearing weeds and leveling ground, but you are correct; it isn't made for breaking up shale.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col