Maple tree bark peeling

I've got a maple tree that was planted 2-3 year ago. The tree seemed week from very beginning - the leaves were not as thick, they appeared later and fell earlier. I was not sure whether that was a reason to be concerned. Last year, however, I've noticed that the bark on the tree cracked and is peeling. The peeling area is rather big - up to 30 % of the width of the tree. The peeled bark is as dry as on a dead tree. Is there something wrong with a tree? Should I treat it with something? I know next to nothing about gardening and appreciate any info I can get, Sasha
sasha wrote:

Peeling bark on some maples are natural/

USDA Zone 8b
Travis wrote:

Like the Paperbark Maple. It has beautiful peeling bark. Mine was a 2" caliper when planted. The leaves were tiny little bits, but every year it looks better.
Do you know to what extend would peeling be natural? In this case, not just outside layer of the bark is pealing, but the whole bark is peeling leaving exposed bare tree trunk. Looks very seek. Sasha
Travis wrote:

Do you know to what extend would peeling be natural? In this case, not just outside layer of the bark is pealing, but the whole bark is peeling leaving exposed bare tree trunk. Looks very sick. Sasha
Travis wrote:

sasha wrote:

Is it peeling down to the cambium layer. That would not be right.

USDA Zone 8b