Maple roots

I have several mature trees on our lot where the roots have come to the surface and are sufficiently exposed to cause problems with the mower.
These trees are Maple and Ash.
Can anything be done to level the area under the trees.
I had though about placing sod between the roots but I have heard that is not a good idea.

I had a friend who tried sod, followed by building a huge raised bed over the roots. The roots still found their way to the surface. This is why maples are to be avoided near civilization, or at least researched so you know what you're getting into before planting one.
I love maple trees because you can not beat the fall color but some varieties do pose this problem. Over the long haul, sod will not work. The roots will grow through it., and you will be right back where you started. I would plant some shade tolerant ground cover over the area. Hosta is a great choice if you are in a cooler climate. Don't wait any longer than you have to, as the roots will continue to grow, and planting something directly under the tree will get tougher every year.
Craig Cooper is a Minnesota home gardener. More of his articles and other gardening information can be found at http://www.growersinfo.com or you can e-mail snipped-for-privacy@growersinfo.com
keith_nuttle wrote:

Pachysandra. The solution to almost everything, except the existence of Republicans.
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:58:44 GMT, keith_nuttle