Maple Pictures

I posted some Acer images on our rhodo site at
http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/page/page/1117037.htm
that might be of interest.
Bill Spohn wrote:

I am sooooo jealous. I am trying not to buy more maples til I figure out whether I am moving--and I am going to make sure I bring my maples if the buyer just plans to whack them down and build a new house here (which is pretty common).
--
Jean B.

My rhodo club gets calls all the time about people selling and do we want free (large) rhodies. We try and 'save' some (knowing what they are enhances chances of placing the orphans), but many go under the blade of the bulldozer!
At least rhodies are quite easy to move even when they are quite big - maples are another thing.
One guy had a mushroom shaped maple (I don't know which cultivar) that was about 6 feet high and 8 feet across, and when they left they decided they couldn't move it. I believe it also went under the blade of a contractor that just didn't want to bother being careful around it while building the new house. Sad.
I try not to think of moving - and having to decide which of over 50 maples, more than 30 magnolias (most too big to move) and well over 800 rhodos would go with us.......
Bill Spohn wrote:

Sorry for the late response.... I think I would try to move any of my maples a new owner didn't want. I am semi-encouraged by the fact that some folks down the road moved two pretty big maples in when the moved to the neighborhood--transplanted them from their old yard. And they have survived. At least I know it is possible.
--
Jean B.