Maple losing small branch

The 2 maples that I spoke of are not of the same type. I heard that one is a silver maple and the other is a Norway maple. The one that is losing cluster of leaves is further from our house theirs. The other one is 10 feet from their house. Last year, the build a patio in cement blocks at the ground level. Maybe one day they will wake up with an uneven patio and realise that their foundations are affected. We have one root from the tree right at the surface of the lawn. It does not yet bother us, but our neighbour from the right showed me a huge root sticking out from their lawn. I saw them working in this area for a long time last year and I think they got ride of the root or roots.

Because branches reach the house, they always have squirrels on their roof and one winter there was a raccoon sleeping at a corner between 2 roofs. These animals can make lots of damage. This house have had damages to its roof before and had cause water damage inside the house.

I heard that the city does not allow their citizens to plant silver maple any more.

Françoise.

Reply to
Françoise

Where is this tree located? The females of the 17-year cicadas, Brood X, in the Eastern USA are right now pruning the crowns of trees by slitting the small uppermost branches to lay eggs. The breaking off of the small branches is how the next generation of cicadas gets down to the ground, where they will burrow in and suck tree roots for the next 17 years. Our lawn in a Blue Ridge clearing is covered with chestnut oak, white oak, black cherry, maple and other fronds. Looking at the huge crowns of the oaks, 80-90 feet up, you can see dozens more pieces where the twigs are almost broken through, about read to fall.

Reply to
Rachel

Rachel, I had not realized that this is the year for the 17-year cicadas. This type of cicada does not reach our region. We are too far north. We have the odd cicadas but mostly toward the end of the summer. I live in Canada. Françoise.

Reply to
Françoise

FamilyNet Newsgate

=?>One of my neighbours at the back has a huge maple (not a sugar maple). =?>The tree looks healthy has a nice shape and is full of leaves, but at a =?>slight wind it loses small branches. Today, I gathered, on our lawn, 2 =?>small buckets of these branches. These branches have 3 to 10 leaves on =?>them and they are very green and big. There was a breeze but not strong =?>enough to move plastic trays for plants that I was washing outside.

=?>Is it natural for a maple to lose so many small branches? I do not =?>recall seeing this before even in a big wind. My parents had 3 sugar =?>maples in their garden for years and they never lost any leaves only in =?>the fall when the leaves were red.

I have a 40' Norway maple out front that does the same thing. I have wondered if the squirrels have cut off the branches (or maybe some birds that have a nest further up the tree ?-)

Its roots have heaved the sidewalk up about 6" and we are looking forward to the city removing it before someone stumbles, etc..

Ciao, Ack,

Reply to
THURSTON ACKERMAN

If you need renovation work, find someone local, and hopefully recommended by a friend.

Ant thank them for not posting commercial notices in non-commercial, gardening, news groups.

Reply to
Billy