Manure on Bulbs

I just put in some 350 bulbs, and the gardeners spread what smells like horse manure all over the place. Van Engelen warns against using 'hot manure,' specifically horse manure. What is the problem, and what is going to happen to my bulbs? Thanks.

Reply to
Eliezer

Dunno. Planting bulbs with manure can make them rot, that's why bonemeal is often used.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi

Manure is a source of deadly plant diseases for bulbs and peonies. Use lots of peatmoss if you need organic matter.

Derryl snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Derryl Killan

Are the bulbs planted a correct distance under ground and the manure used as a mulch on top? If so, you don't really need to worry - by the time the bulbs appear in spring, the manure should be well composted. If the manure or whatever was incorporated into the area prior to planting, you could have problems with water retention, rot and nitrogen burn on the roots.

Are you sure your gardeners used manure? I'd be willing to bet it is more likely to be some form of compost (with perhaps manure as a major ingredient) that is not fully aged, hence the aroma. Make sure in the future they use fully aged and composted manure.

FWIW, the botanical garden nearby mulches each fall with 6-8 inches of composted cow manure - you should see the bulbs in spring. A very impressive showing in the thousands!

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Derryl Killan expounded:

My great grandmother, gardening in southern Michigan, put well-rotted manure on *everything*, she had the most beautiful peonies I've ever seen. I'm fortunate enough to have a plant from her garden. It loves manure, although I keep it away from the stems.

Reply to
Ann

Thank you all, particularly Pam; I thought it was manure because it smells like I'm living in a stable. On a warm day, the ground practically whinnies. The bulbs are down deep, mostly 8 or so inches down. There's nothing to do now but wait, but from what you say, there is a chance they will survive. Thanks again.

Reply to
Eliezer