mantis tiller

Two cycle will have a higher dB level, more power, operates properly on any angle, and uses a special gasoline-oil mix. You'll need to weigh the pros and cons for your needs.

Reply to
Phisherman

What is your opinion of the mantis tiller. Is the two cycle better than the four cycle?

Thanks

Gary

Reply to
gary

No, the 4 cycle is better than the 2 unless you want a noisy smoke trap.

After comparing the Mantis and the Honda, I chose the Honda 4 cycle because it is quieter and I did not want to mix oil. I have not seen the 4 cycle Mantis. It must be a secret or they are competing to see who can make the worst web site.

Anyway, here's some OT feedback on my Honda:

  1. It took 52 pulls to get it started the first time (I counted them). The 2nd day I started it on 7. The 3rd day I started it on 1 so I decided to keep it. All directions were followed - priming, choke, fresh gas, etc.

Have you seen those Honda commercials where they start it on the 1st pull? Just laugh when you see one of those next time.

  1. It bounces around a lot on hard dirt. It bounced around so much that it threw the drag bar off and I couldn't find the clevis pin so I had to order another.
  2. When it's not bouncing, it digs straight down and gets stuck.
  3. It takes an hour to assemble.
  4. Everything costs extra. I ordered the edger attachment and that was .

I think most of the above will apply to the Mantis because it's basically the same. The secret is you need to wait until it rains before using these little tillers. They just don't have enough weight to cut through hard ground.

Even with all these problems, it's still a lot easier than digging by hand - a lot easier.

Good luck.

Reply to
Frank

I bought a 4-cycle Mantis this spring and like it a lot. The Honda works flawlessly, almost always starting on the first pull. I liked it so much that when my old '68 Lawnboy broke again I gave up on it and went out and bought a Honda. It starts perfectly too. Most of my use with the Mantis has been in beds that had been dug a season before. It is sometimes tough going and will bounce where the ground is hard packed or if it hits a root or big rock. It chopps the soil much finer than a big tiller. It's great in a small area or up next to plants you don't want to hurt. It will find all the rocks in a garden and many times you have to stop it to get them out. The factory does not sell the Honda model but if you do a web search for Mantis you will find some.

Reply to
H Hornblower

Honda makes a couple of different family of engines, so just because it says HONDA on it does not necessarily mean a long lasting product. Their consumer engine is rated for 200 hours of average use.......IIRC th GX series of motors are commercial or industrial engines, and the GC are consumer engines, which are not in the same leage as a commercial Honda. Still they are better than the average run of the mill B & S motors commonly sold on a lot of equipment. Biggest problem you will encounter with a Honda is using stale gas or allowing the gas to form varnish. Hondas are very susceptible to stale gas, so use a stabilizer when need be, and use fresh gas.

Regards

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer
10-4 ! I jus had an Allen 10Hp (Italian) replaced with a 13 HP Honda,, wow SO much more power ! n starts 1 pull ! my 2c Ed :-)

Reply to
Ed G. Bowlin

I've had a Mantis 2 stroke for about 5 months now.

I've owned Sears, a Troy Built Horse, a Troy mini-tiller, and even a huge big wheel cultivator.

The Troy Horse was great for the big garden, but even had its limits on dry ground which is some of the complaints I've seen on the Mantis. The mini tiller which was similar to the Honda was not used much because rocks & roots tangled up in it a lot. Just got tired of messing with it. After my back surgery in 91, I just gave it away with the Horse when I sold it.

I did square foot gardening on a very small scale for a couple of years and decided to get a Mantis after asking about it on this group.

I have arthritis in my lower spine and bone spurs in my neck and have had no trouble operating it. Starts every time if I follow the instructions properly. It does not lock up like the mini tiller I had. Must be the design of the tines. It will get roots wrapped around from time to time but it is a breeze to clear compared to regular tines. Takes just a couple of minutes to switch the tines from "cultivate" to "till".

I timed myself recently on a new bed, starting from sod.

Mowed and wet the area down in the morning. 4 X 24 foot. Tilled to about 8 inches (fine seed bed texture) and had it planted in about 1 hour.

I now maintain 4 - 4 X 24 foot beds and 2 - 90 foot fence rows for veggies and 3 new flower beds with no problem and am considering even more.

It is also much easier like some have said to walk backwards with it and try not to till to China on the first path. Just like with my big Horse, it is much easier to make several shallow passes until you get to the depth that you want. Over the years as you get your soil in shape it will dig deeper on the 1st pass every year. On my 2 existing square foot beds it will go down about 10 inches on the 1st pass and the soil will look like it was poured out of a bag, but it takes several seasons to get the soil in that condition.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Yates