Mandevillas and ants

I have Mandevillas growing along my fence and noticed that bugs seem to be eating at the leaves. When I turned a few leaves over, I noticed large groups of ants under them. There are also black dots. Are the ants eating something like aphids or some other bug I don't know of yet. or do ants eat these plants?? Thanks