Making an ugly lawn more attractive

I have a large lawn that has some broad-leaf weeds (e.g. dandelions) and a few spots with thinning grass. At Walmart and Target I see bags of lawn additives like Weed & Feed and Turf Builder. Will spreading one of those products result in a more attractive lawn? Any better alternatives? Do I have to spread lawn seed too? I live in Western Washington state. Thanks for any advice. Mike

Reply to
tenplay

Weed and Feed helps to control weeds. You should also fertilize at least once a year, ideally 3 times a year (spring, summer, fall). You should overseed in the fall if your grass is thin. You can also spot seed areas that are bare.

Best to get a book on lawns from your local library as above is best applied to the Northeast.

tenplay wrote:

Reply to
inchul_99

If it's like most lawns out here, it's probably in need of calcium and fertilizer, so I'd start with a soil test, and in the meantime get your lawnmower blade sharpened and raise the blade to the proper height for your lawn (no fair scalping the grass and then letting it get really shaggy and scalping it again... that's *really* tough on lawns and opens up all sorts of spots for weeds to move in.

In the fall, I'd overseed with a good mixture.

More here:

Kay Lancaster

First buy a Scotts 2000 Speedy Green Rotary Fertilizer Spreader....($28) Please do the Scotts 'Calibration' rate screw adjustment .. View the plastic mark on the spreader 'sliding window'.... Mine needed adjustment!

REASON: Scotts application dose numbers are listed on most any Lawn fertilizer.

Then apply Fert 6 times per year to your lawn... 2 similar does in Spring, 2 in Summer & 2 in Fall... These 3 Fertilizer types are Different!! Read the 'Scott's' dosage on any Fert Bag & Dial that into the Scotts Spreader.

Dates : Spring March 11th 30-3-6 with broad leaf weed control

Spring May 8th 30-3-6 with or with out weed control Summer June 30th 25-3-8 Summer August 4th 25-3-8

Fall Sept 28th 25-0-8 Both fall Fert mixes are 'close'. Fall Oct 23rd 30-0-3

This is the Fertilizer PGM I paid for in 2003 only.. In 2004 & on I do it..

Reply to
Dennis Mayer