Making a rain barrel

I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there other possible sources I could try? Richard

Reply to
richardg

You appear to be in the Albany area....if so, how about these.

any recycler, as many of the drums end up with them.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Try recyclers and rural supply shops.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

If all else fails you can always buy one online. Just do a Google search for "food-grade drum" (without the quotes) and you will have enough hits to keep you busy for a long time. You should be able to narrow the hits down geographically pretty easily.

If you have a Tractor Supply store in your area they are worth a look too. This would make a really great water storage tank:

John McGaw

Why does food grade matter for collecting rain, rain isn't food grade. And all wooden barrels are food grade unless used and contaminated with toxins. Most folks use a clean heavy weight plastic trash can to collect rain from downspouts.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I buy big barrels that have been used for the importation of olives in bulk before repacking. I buy them from my local produce store - most produce stores have them in this country. Not knowing which country you live in, I cant' be more specific about where you could search.

Reply to
FarmI

It is if you live in rural Australia where everyone drinks rainwater.

Reply to
FarmI

I bought one of these last summer for $120.

and set up at the back of my garage. I stacked it on 3 wooden pallets.

It came in to the country with a detergent in it. A thorough clean got rid of most of the residue. I use it for the garden, not for drinking water.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Capitolcontainer sells used plastic 55 gallon barrels for $15. I have lived in Albany for 39 years and I never knew about them. Richard

Reply to
richardg

Check your local car wash places. The containers of soap and wax comes in 55 gallon barrels. Most will give the barrels away for free. As for food grade, I don't know.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

A 50 gal. or 60 gal. barrel won't go far in addressing your water needs. It may be easier to dig a cistern and pump the water out.

Reply to
Wildbilly

Depends upon his water needs, for watering a few containers and such, this is a good thing.

An even cheaper solution, if one isn't too picky about the looks and has a bit o' room, is one of the "bag" pools, like Intex manufactures. Six and eight foot by 30 inch deep pools can be had for like next to nothing and hold.....oh....lots of hundreds of gallons of water....I'm not looking up the formula.

Here's a 12 footer for 32 bucks

about the way long link....Cabela's search pool --> easy set pools.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Wow, sticker shock! No reasonable rain barrel here. I may construct one since I have a supply of white oak.

Reply to
Phisherman