Making a rain barrel

I would like to make a rain barrel. I have no idea where to get a used food grade barrel. There are no bottling plants in my area. Are there other possible sources I could try? Richard
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:49:36 -0800 (PST), richardg

You appear to be in the Albany area....if so, how about these.
http://www.barrelsupply.com/barrels.htm
http://www.capitolcontainer.com/cccrecon.htm
Try any recycler, as many of the drums end up with them.
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 18, 12:34 pm, Charlie wrote:

Capitolcontainer sells used plastic 55 gallon barrels for $15. I have lived in Albany for 39 years and I never knew about them. Richard

Add pictures here
✖
In article

Check your local car wash places. The containers of soap and wax comes in 55 gallon barrels. Most will give the barrels away for free. As for food grade, I don't know.
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Add pictures here
✖

A 50 gal. or 60 gal. barrel won't go far in addressing your water needs. It may be easier to dig a cistern and pump the water out.
--
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
poor have no food, they call you a communist."

Depends upon his water needs, for watering a few containers and such, this is a good thing.
An even cheaper solution, if one isn't too picky about the looks and has a bit o' room, is one of the "bag" pools, like Intex manufactures. Six and eight foot by 30 inch deep pools can be had for like next to nothing and hold.....oh....lots of hundreds of gallons of water....I'm not looking up the formula.
Here's a 12 footer for 32 bucks
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id 63816020528a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=pool&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
Sorry about the way long link....Cabela's search pool --> easy set pools.
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖
Places that sell wine-making supplies often ship in juice in such barrels, and toss the barrels after they have sold all the juice.
richardg wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
richardg wrote:

Try recyclers and rural supply shops.
David
Add pictures here
✖
richardg wrote:

If all else fails you can always buy one online. Just do a Google search for "food-grade drum" (without the quotes) and you will have enough hits to keep you busy for a long time. You should be able to narrow the hits down geographically pretty easily.
If you have a Tractor Supply store in your area they are worth a look too. This would make a really great water storage tank:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/pickup-tank-210-gal-28-in-h-x-51-in-dia--2125694
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Wow, sticker shock! No reasonable rain barrel here. I may construct one since I have a supply of white oak.
Add pictures here
✖
richardg wrote:

Why does food grade matter for collecting rain, rain isn't food grade. And all wooden barrels are food grade unless used and contaminated with toxins. Most folks use a clean heavy weight plastic trash can to collect rain from downspouts.
Add pictures here
✖

It is if you live in rural Australia where everyone drinks rainwater.
Add pictures here
✖

I buy big barrels that have been used for the importation of olives in bulk before repacking. I buy them from my local produce store - most produce stores have them in this country. Not knowing which country you live in, I cant' be more specific about where you could search.
Add pictures here
✖

I bought one of these last summer for $120. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Farming-forestry/Other/auction-254842596.htm
1000L and set up at the back of my garage. I stacked it on 3 wooden pallets.
It came in to the country with a detergent in it. A thorough clean got rid of most of the residue. I use it for the garden, not for drinking water.
rob
Add pictures here
✖