Maine Blueberries

Does anyone here know if it's possible to grow the small Maine blueberries in the UK? Can anyone tell me the variety name/s?

Reply to
Jane Lumley

The wild Maine blueberry is Vaccinium angustifolium. It is available from select growers here in the US, but requires a more specifc cultural condition than do the more commonly grown Vaccinium corymbosum cultivars and hybrids. Have no idea how widespread its availability may be in the UK, but you could look for a midsized highbush 'Northblue' which produces small berries with similar appearance and taste to "wild" blueberries.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Jane Lumley expounded:

If you live in a pine barren

Wehave a whole yard of Maine wild blueberries at our house in Maine. The conditions are thin, acid soil with jack pines creating natural mulch. The terrain is very flat. Funny thing is, they grow both in full sun and in full shade, and the berries onthe full shade plants are plumper, sweeter, the ones on the full sun plants are smaller and more concentrated with flavor.

Pam has given you good info, good luck in your search!

Reply to
Ann

Did you read the book "It" by Stephen King?

I would, especially if you plan to plant Blueberries in the Pine Barren!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

"Cindy" expounded:

I don't need to plant them, they're there by nature. And Stephen King is a Mainer, after all.......

Reply to
Ann

Tons of information on Maine blueberries from the University of Maine Extension at

in general, and the typical wild Maine blueberry, Vaccinium angustifolium, do well in pretty much the same conditions as azaleas and rhododendrons (to which they are related). If you have (or can make) acid soil (pH 6 or better yet 5.5 or lower) in a sunny, sheltered spot, they are at least a good risk.

V. angustifolium is also grown in Sweden, where there are hybridizers working with it, but I don't know of any UK sources.

Reply to
Christopher Green

even if you have acid soil (possible the UK is just as wet as out atlantic coast), my guess is that it is too warm in England for Maine blueberries. You are what we call zone 8, right? The coldest night of the year goes to -6C (21F), no colder.

Reply to
simy1

In article , simy1 writes

Yes, that's right. And this may explain why there are no UK Maine blueberry suppliers.

Reply to
Jane Lumley