Mailing plants and seeds to people

Page 1 of 2
Normally I don't get annoyed by things like this, but the last several times I've taken my time to send out seeds and/or plants to people I've received not one word. I wonder, did they get the plants/seeds, did I waste my time? My money?
Please, if anyone here has received seeds and/or plants from me, a really nice thing would be to minimally respond with a note of reception.
From now on, I will only send out plants and seeds to known people who actually appreciate it.
I hope this post is not about me. I sent you an email thanking you for the seeds. Maybe I sent it to the wrong email adress. So if I did, thank you for the seeds and supplying information on it. I planted at the begining of this week and hopefully they will all germinate. -Theo

I've found the same rude new trend from several lurkers in uk.rec.gardening, and so have others. One experience made me wonder if some of these stranger-requests are just malicious timewasting from trolls.
An unfamiliar name emailed asking me to post some root cuttings I'd mentioned in a thread, to a land address in France (not cheap). When I replied to the email the address bounced; a google archive search showed zero posting history from the address or the sender's name. I put a message for him on the group which got no reply. The plants didn't get posted.
Janet Scotland
opined:

Yes, it's annoying and time consuming. From now on, I will reserve my trading and giving freely to those who I know, and who I've done trades with in the past.
I think the world is changing, and for the worse. Possibly it's only an American thing. People have become so anonymous and void. I mean, here it is Christmas time, I'm Buddhist and I can somehow find it to say "Merry Christmas" when in the stores, while the people with all the decorations in their carts are pushing to the front of the line.
Strange times we're in. I find the US in a great decline, or immaturity in societal development.
One of the things I loved most about the Internet (before every shmuck was here) was the universal likeness we shared. Now everyone is online.
<< I'm Buddhist and I can somehow find it to say "Merry Christmas" when in the stores, while the people with all the decorations in their carts are pushing to the front of the line. >><BR><BR>
I hope you've had the chance to see the Chinese family in the Marina district, SF, who every Christmas celebrates by putting enormous, well-lighted plastic divinities, about 8, on their lawn. They're probably Taoist, but they bring you up short with a grin--at least they do me. zemedelec
On 04 Dec 2003 00:08:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamfree (Zemedelec) opined:

What do you mean by "bring you up short with a grin...?"
We have a Christian pastor on the block. I do two food drives each year for a secular serving center associated with our city (Round Rock, TX) and when the Christian pastor found our I was Buddhist, he stopped giving a few cans of food. How nice.
<snippers>

/rolls eyes
Wonder if he teaches his congregation about persecution!? -- Lynda

Don't know. He was so rude to us even my husband (who couldn't care less what people think of him or me) was flawed!
Eh. These are the people I learn the most from.
<< What do you mean by "bring you up short with a grin...?" >><BR><Br
I enjoy the sight of people who cock a snook at, as they seem to go along with, the blenderized holiday that most Americans are supposed to celebrate. zemedelec

Oh dear - I know I'm one that you have kindly sent to - though I haven't received it yet. Rest assured I would be singing praises if I had. I generally go too far the other way... i.e. I don't shut up! I am new on this particular group, but would like to think that I have an ounce of decency.
Sorry that you've been offended :-(
As an aside, I'm still waiting to close on my house move. It's been almost two weeks - almost everything is packed and I'm climbing the walls! Aghhh! The garden is going to be an absolute pig sty by the time I get to it. -- Lynda
opined:

I sent the cactus pad out over a week ago. If you haven't received it, you probably will not receive it.
I just get so annoyed when I go through the time and send things out. It was not a few people, it was about 15 people over the last several weeks.
I'm sorry if you didn't receive it. I did send it.
Victoria

I may still receive it. I waited ten days for a package recently. I called the people that sent it, checking they got my address right - which they had - they were about to send me another package when the first one arrived. You know, this may be the reason that my house move is being delayed so long... hehe, so that my cactus pad doesn't get into the redirect route ;-) We haven't setup the redirect yet as we haven't closed - nightmare! In fact, I thought it arrived yesterday, but it turned out to be an early Christmas present from rels.
I just checked my mail and it was the 18th that you posted. Hmmm, that it a little while ago. Another pad donation was sent on the 20th and not received either. I've not given up hope yet.

I understand. As one of those types of people myself - willing to do alomst anything to help someone out, sometimes we do get trampled on. In reference to your other post - I totally agree that it is getting worse. In my bible it is known as hearts growing cold. So sad.

Don't worry, I believe you :-) If/when it gets here, it will get special attention. Best, -- Lynda

I always let you know when I get something from you V. I am letting you know I haven't received anything but good feelings towards me in the last few weeks. I'm just hanging around up here on the ridge slipping into a pit of darkness. <sg>I hope all is well with you down in Texas. I wish you a happy up and coming Yule madgardener

Oh dear, I hope all is well. I haven't been following all the threads, but did any decision of moving come up yet? Please don't slip into the pit of darkness. I've been there. Not fun.
As to down here, things are still in the 70s and growing. This year was the neatest I've been in the garden! By now, the gardens look like the out back!
YOU will always get plants and seeds from me! That you can count on.
<< Normally I don't get annoyed by things like this, but the last several times I've taken my time to send out seeds and/or plants to people I've received not one word. I wonder, did they get the plants/seeds, did I waste my time? My money?
I've had the same experience in a number of situations, including "desperate" people featured in reputable newspapers who have a very sick child, etc. I've lost count of the times I sent off a small or not so small amount to the address cited. So far, I have gotten back a total of one thank-you note.
I don't have a clue as to this behavior among your recipients or mine, except perhaps they were brought up to feel "entitled" to anything they could wheedle out of another person, and not obligated to thank a sucker.
Maybe, too, the rather ungeneous thought arises, they live in a subculture where a sick child is not automatically taken to a doctor, you ignore your landlord until a notice to vacate goes up on your door, etc. zemedelec
On 04 Dec 2003 00:04:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

"Charity begins at home." That is, with local agencies and entities whose record you can check. Keep track of the newspaper story (and reporter. Nearly all articles in my local paper identify the reporter with phone # and e-mail address), and inquire, either before contributing or as a follow-up. OTOH, for "an account has been established for the XYZ family," there may be no way (or no way they know about) to respond to each contributor. You might seek out a single local enterprise -- soup kitchen, shelter, church -- and concentrate your efforts there, where you actually know who's in charge and what they do. After years of seeing reports in local media about a man who collected and distributed food and clothing to those in distress, I made *his* mission my Christmas charity.

You have good reason to feel annoyed. If you're doing a favor for somebody--and spending money, to boot--you should at the very least receive an acknowledgement. That's not too much to ask.
Eric
Every one genuflect if you have been blessed with a gift.

times
not
My
nice
actually

That's not close to what I said. I would have liked a simple, "got the seeds" or "got the plants." I don't think that's too much to ask in lieu of the many, many seeds and plants I send out annually to people all over the world.
What have you done lately?

animaux wrote:

Well, I've never asked you for anything, but I do want to thank you for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. And if I ever ask you to send me a seedling or something, rest assured you will at least get a hand-written thank you note back.
Cheers.
--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam here: snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov