Mail order source for quantity discount of mint plants?

Hi all, I want to run mint along a very long fence line this spring (100'+ or so) and I was wondering if there is a good mail order source for lots of plants with maybe a discount for quantity. I'd really love chocolate mint but I'll take the other kinds, too.
If I could find it growing wild, I'd steal it in mass quantities but so far, no luck.
Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Do you have any idea how invasive mint is??? Within a couple of years, you will have your 100' of length and also 100' of depth! Now, if you're planning to put them in secure containers almost buried into the ground, it might work for you.
I have about a dozen varieties of mints (kept solely as novelties) and I've learned to keep them very much under control! Once they escape, it takes a lot of work to get them back. But they are lovely, and yes, chocolate mint is one of my favourites, too.
Jim Zone 6, Niagara
I got chocolate mint in a 100 gallon rubbermaid container with my dwarf peach trees and it jumped the pot into the next one. But it is sitting on concrete so I dont worry about it getting away. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

What do you mean, "it might work for you"? I think what you are picturing what I want it for is different than what I, in reality, want it for.

And I want a large quantity of it. Does anyone know a mail order source for quantity discounts?

Call Stokes, http://www.seedquest.com/id/s/StokesSeeds.htm , which is right in your area, and ask if they can hook you up with a grower who may have purchased mint seeds from them. And, check out www.localharvest.org for growers. Ignore the word "organic" all over the site, if you like. Other than these ideas, I'd guess that 1/2 hour with google would help you find some commercial growers.
Keep in mind, too, that for about ten bucks, you could get seeds of 2-3 varieties, and grow your own.
You can take all the mint in my yard, dig up every root from the 40-50 plants you find, cut these runners into 100 pieces and you will have 100 plants growing quickly. My yard will of course still be infested.

Just plant 1 plant then wait 3 years. You'll have the fence line and most of the yard covered in mint. Mint is highly invasive, it is not recommended that you plant mint in the ground, you will no doubt regret it later.
Read this for a greater explanation: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/herbs/mint.html
-S
Fragile Warrior Wrote:

each variety would be enough. Buy the smallest and cheapest, as it wil grow fast. It is very, VERY invasive. You'll find herb nurseries on web. Try - snipped-for-privacy@barwinnock.com along with other nurseries and find bes prices. (They have chocolate mint as well) Each plant will be about - 1.20 or so
-- Aly
Fragile Warrior Wrote:

a few addresses that you can try. I'll have another go - snipped-for-privacy@barwinnock.co
-- Aly
Fragile Warrior wrote:

you only need 10 to 20 plants, so you are angling for a few dollars discount. One plant covers a square yard in about two years. Make sure you can mow on either side of the fence line. 10 to 20 plants are nothing for someone who has an established stand, it's the vegetation of about half a square foot.
if anyone ever DOES give you a name or names of a source for buying mass quantities of a variety of mints, could you PLEASE email me at the address below my signature?? PLEASE??
otherwise, both you and i should hit http://www.gardenweb.com and check out THEIR places for finding SOURCES. i guess i'll toddle over there now.....and if i find anything, first, i'll let you know here, k??
i want mass quantities of mint, too, to take over the grass; this way the area will still look green but will not be the source of food for grasshopper, japanese beetle, and other grubs who munch on grass roots all winter and spring.
this'll teach 'em!!!!
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.
snipped-for-privacy@macdialup.com

A grower I know of in California supplies various herbs (including some mints) in plug trays of 128 plants for $52.80 (about $0.42 per plant). One catch is they must all be of the same plant. Another catch is shipping. If you live in the far west of the US (basically the coastal states and those adjoining them) shipping is by ground and cheap, but if you live anywhere else shipping is by air and expensive.
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/index.html
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I've dealt with theses folks in the past.
http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com /
Bill
--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade