Magnolia Question Prune?

After 35 years I have two large Magnolias about 30 feet high. I intend to take one down for more light as it blooms too early an burns due to frost. The other is close and one branch could rub against our roof. The latter concerns my prune question.
Can I trim it back ?
Been here.
<http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0603/magnolia_prune.asp
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Bill wrote:

shape but removing lower branches and those that threaten house. Wish my wife never brought it. It's beautiful right now but drops blooms fast and they need to be raked as they smoother grass and clog mower. Leaves in fall are also a PITA.
http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/magnolia.jpg
Frank

Sure you can. Dose, Timing and Targets play an important role. The maturity of the trees play a role. I highly suggest that this book be reviewed. A World Wide Photo Guide by Dr. Shigo. Also Modern Arboriculture is a great book to address your concerns about tree health. www.shigoandtrees.com
I have written a section on Pruning and it is here: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning /
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.