Magnolia question

What is this suggestive looking growth on my magnolia tree?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18364027@N00/254919215 /
The tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.
It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this structure.
BeeCee
BeeCee wrote:

That's the fruit (not edible). When it matures, the scales will spread. Seeds will be inside.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
The tree is about 12 years old and growing at about its northern limit.
It flowers well in the spring but this is the first time I have noticed this structure.
BeeCee
It's hard to know if this was a serious question but here goes. The photograph shows the fruit of a Magnolia. In botanical terminology the fruit is an aggrregate of follicles. Each follicle may contain a seed but often only a few have seeds. In your photo there appear to be two seeds at the outermost end of the fruit.
Karl L. Wuensch wrote:

I Live in Wisconsin, I just stared growing one of these from seed..........