magnolia cutting

I bought a magnolia branch at a garden show, vendor said stick it in water and the buds will open. They didn't, but a green shoot has appeared at the base! there are white nodules at the bottom but no roots yet. Should I cut the top off? leave it in the water until I see roots?
I'm in Toronto so I guess this is a hardy magnolia. Assuming it is established, do I plant it out in the garden this year? how long before flowers appear? thanks!
On 4/21/12 12:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@torfree.net wrote:

There are more than 200 species and varieties in the genus Magnolia, with widely varying climate and soil requirements. Without knowing which species of Magnolia you have, I cannot answer your question.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
David E. Ross wrote:

be that as it may...
i still would not cut the top off the piece of wood that is rooting.
give it more time to put out new growth and make sure that has a dozen or so leaves before pruning the dead wood away. it is easy to break off new shoots by accident when pruning.
songbird