magnolia cutting

I bought a magnolia branch at a garden show, vendor said stick it in water = and the buds will open. They didn't, but a green shoot has appeared at the = base! there are white nodules at the bottom but no roots yet. Should I cut = the top off? leave it in the water until I see roots?

I'm in Toronto so I guess this is a hardy magnolia. Assuming it is establis= hed, do I plant it out in the garden this year? how long before flowers app= ear? thanks!

Reply to
aa172

There are more than 200 species and varieties in the genus Magnolia, with widely varying climate and soil requirements. Without knowing which species of Magnolia you have, I cannot answer your question.

Reply to
David E. Ross

be that as it may...

i still would not cut the top off the piece of wood that is rooting.

give it more time to put out new growth and make sure that has a dozen or so leaves before pruning the dead wood away. it is easy to break off new shoots by accident when pruning.

songbird

Reply to
songbird