Madagascar palms-care of indoors

Anyone with experience with Madagascar palms indoors? Light and watering-feeding too..thanks AL

Reply to
AL

First off, "Madagascar palm" is a misnomer.

The genus Pachypodium is a member of the "periwinkle family", Apocynaceae not the Arecaceae.

Do a Google search. There are enitre websites and groups devoted to nothing but Pachypodium.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Thank you-did that and found contrary statements--water once amonth-water every two weeks--direct sun vs bright light on the floor near a window--know what I mean??

Reply to
AL

I see what you mean. The two current Pachypodium websites listed in the Cactus Mall are a bit of a disappointment. Both are out-of-date and incomplete.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Use free-draining potting mix. I like 2 parts perlite to 1 part peat in a clay pot. During the summer, place the plant outside in full sun. In anything less than full sun, you will not get the most attractive compact growth. Water and fertilize freely and do not allow the soil to dry for any extended period. What you want is moist but not waterlogged.

In winter, keep the plant in the brightest light possible. Stop fertilizing, and reduce watering significantly. You can allow the soil to dry out completely before watering again. If you keep the plant bone dry for long periods OR overwater in cool weather, you may lose the roots. What you want is barely moist. The plant may lose many of its leaves in autumn or hold them until the new growth begins again in Spring. In Spring, when day/night temperatures are above 70F/50F, put the plant back outside.

Reply to
myrmecodia

Revisiting my Madagascar palm-which I have been treating like a cactus Noted some dark brown or black at ends oof a couple fons-also a frond will turn yellow and fall off-not ver often-once every 2 weeks or so

The problem I have is that when I bought this plant it was in a closd container-no drainage and tiny rocklike bits aaround the base--when I inquired the person I bought it from sai to water once a month with one cup of water and it's in the north window very little direct light

It's done very well-doubled size good dark green fronds--the problem is should I transplant it-leave it alone-I was told there were "peanuts" in the bottom of the pot to absorb the water-I read reently to water more often so I increased to evey two weeks during the summer-but am afraid of overwatering-my moisturemeter reads 3-5 dryto moist and says to water at 3--not sure what to do --any ideas?? al

Reply to
AL

So what are your misconceptions about growing "cactus"?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Am I assuming correctly this is a cactus and not a palm as many have told me? My misconceptions re: cactus are:

need little water (once a month)-bright light but not direct

I think what's confusing me most is that this Mad Palm came in a drainless pot-I have another cactus-telescope I believe that is in a conventional pot that drains-so I waer once a month until water comes thru then let finish draining and place back under window --also should I rely on thes moisture meter as to when to water-it seems to be agreeing with the way I water all my other plants?? thanks

Reply to
AL

Pachypodium is a stem succulent genus in the "Periwinkle" family, Apocynaceae from Madagascar, not a cactus or a palm.

You should water your plant thoroughly when you do and the pot must have drainage holes in the bottom. The soil should be dry between waterings. A moisture meter really isn't necessary.

The general cactus & succulent plant care provided here will work for your plant.

are some Pachypodium websites for more info.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Hope I'm not bothering you-if so tell me-think i have p lamerii from the pics i just looked at that you sent me

Reply to
AL