Luffa (sponge) gourd - lacking female flowers

I've planted some luffa gourds next to my back porch. Over the past few weeks, they have really taken off - some of them growing close to a foot a day.
I have noticed some female flowers and small fruit as the vines grow, but then when I look for them later, I don't seem to find them. Today I found a few, still rather tiny looking, and mostly yellow, slightly wrinkled. I think this is what happens when they "abort". I've never seen a single female fruit actually flower to this point.
There are PLENTY of yellow male flowers. In fact, these plants seem to be producing an amazing amount of male flowers - extremely prolific. However, I didn't grow these for a flower display - I'm actually wanting the gourds, so that I can have some luffa sponges later this year.
Do most of the female flowers only show up later in the season, or is something going on here that shouldn't be?

Hopefully, you can flag down Glenna, she grew some last year.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.