Low tech plant supports

I wasted time running around (or rather bussing around, as I have parked my car due to high insurance/gas charges) to various homeowner and garden places looking for bamboo stakes for my delicious and high-yielding snow pea bushes.

Then a light went on over my head. Why not just cut down some of my too-many bamboo stalks and use them?

Done!

Embarrassing when it takes forever to think outside the box!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

I've started to use our bamboo as plant protectors for when I drag my hose around the garden. I stick them around a bed and the hose will slide along the. They are certainly better than the expensive and easily damageable plastic posts that I bought at the Home Despot. I bought rubber caps from the local hardware store to put on their tops, in case some one should fall on them. I've snapped a few by wrapping the hose around them but I haven't lost any plants because of the hose.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Bill Rose

Heh heh......I'm glad I'm not the only one who *thought* those plastic thingies looked obeekaybee.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

The message from Persephone contains these words:

I just use twiggy sticks , cut from felled trees in winter.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I read somewhere you can take 2- 12" terra cotta pots and turn the bottom one upside down, place the second on top right side up and stick a piece of rebar in the holes. Makes a perfect hose guide. I don't think the bamboo is strong enuf.

Reply to
betsyb

Oh, I don't do any fancy corners or anything. I just want to keep the hose off the strawberries for the most part. Most of the major plants have cages on them (beans, peppers, tomatoes, zukes, ect.)

I could just use the rebar but the bamboo looks better. I save the rebar for spots in the fence where the "Hounds from Hell" used to regularly break-out. They are "Homies" at last.

Gotta flutter,

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

I have far too many saplings growing in the woods near my garden, so I cut some of them for supports for delphiniums, etc. They look much nicer than the green plastic sticks.

Reply to
Jenny

We've done some of that, but we found that something was boring little holes in the bamboo (and making sawdust).

I've read that the commercial bamboo is (a) very dry, and/or (b) treated with something.

I like the bamboo stakes, and we have a few that we kept for the garden, but especially for right near/inside the house, we didn't want to risk attracting critters which might cause more trouble if they started munching something besides the bamboo.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon