Low spots in your lawn

Every time my lawn gets watered about 80% of the water goes to one side in the middle and is always water log while the rest of my lawn is dry and dieing. Is there anything I can throw into the low spots like dirt or something to level the lawn out?
Richard
Our neighbors apply a thin layer of compost over their lawn once a year and their lawn looks great. The compost works it way into the lawn (which I don't think dirt will do as easily).
Richard Miller wrote:

Sounds like the ground is compacted. Aerate it and then spread a thin layer of compost.

USDA Zone 8
There could be other causes of this, rather than a low spot. Perhaps your soil that gets water logged is compacted or even clayey, while the area that is dry and dying lacks structure to hold the water, as many sandy soils won't hold water.
Assuming that a low spot is the problem, you can certainly rake in some top soil to raise the level, but if you do too much at one time, you will kill the grass. It would be better to lay down a quarter inch of topsoil perhaps twice each year for 4 years than to lay down 2 inches all at once.
Richard Miller wrote:

You could take off the top layer of sod, fill underneath with compost almost to the level of the regular lawn and then reposition the sod.. That way you have it up to level all at once instead of building it up slowly with top dressing..
alice

I'd use soil instead of compost as the soil has less of a chance of subsidance over time. As compost gets consumed the area would drop.