Lotus

Tomorrow I am going to a lake in Florida to get some wild lotus but I don`t know what special cares to have... Basically I am going to shove my hand through the muddy waters (below a withered lotus flower) and to the bottom (will I touch roots?? or soil??). Then I am going to grab whatever is there and pull it up carefully. I expect to bring up several intertwinned potato-looking tubers which I will have to break somewhere in order to seperate and make transportable. I really wanted to be successfull in bringing back possible lotus tubers but what cares do I need? If I do what will I kill it? I would really appreciate some help, some guidance.
Bruno PhD student University of Florida
get scuba gear. take along an underwater chain saw. I dont know if you have every tried to pull up a water lily, but a lotus is much harder. you will tip the boat over and not budge it an millimeter. this is not the best time of the year for trying to grow lotus anyway. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (astronomer) wrote:

I grew a lotus from seed last year, from a pod I bought at a craft store (Michaels) with the dried flowers. It grew amazingly fast and began to spread by underground runners while it was just a few weeks old. I had it in a rubbery plastic flower pot with no drainage hole, and a few minnows in the water to keep the mosquitoes out. Alas, I thought they were hardy, but I let a hard freeze kill the leaves before I brought it inside for the winter (the water in the pot did not freeze) and it didn't come back. I'll plant another one this winter indoors so I can set a good sized plant out and maybe have it bloom.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

Why not do it the legal way, go buy one?