lots of rain and the wonderful smell of damp leaves

There is nothing like the smell of damp leaves and wet earth. With the dryness we've experienced lately, the massive amount of much needed rains fell today releasing Mom Earth's musky earthy fragrances. Ummmmm, damp leaves, moist soil, a slight mushroomy smell. The peepers and frogs that are still hanging on because they don't know any better with this Indian Summer we've had this week are singing their little gills out. I almost heard the waning perennials gasping with relief. I caught several buckets of gutter overflow when I dicovered the deluge caused by too many oak leaves, pawlonia leaves and pine needles was making a large waterfall. The tropical plants on the front porch was grateful for the fresh rain. Eventually the rains stopped several hours later, the soil everywhere visibly moist, and despite the raised beds my flowers and perennials reside in, my hands came up muddy when I patted the soil around the roots of my newly aquired Mexican Sage I got from Reba from down the street. It cost me dearly, but I've wanted a piece of it now for seven years. It's acclimated to our zone and for safety sake I will mulch it with leaves to ensure it's survival this winter. It's also in a prime location in my southern facing bed. I have Eye of the Tiger green tongues poking up out of their pot way too soon because of the warmth we've had, I guess this weekend's cold front will slow them down and hopefully they won't force and bloom and be lost. These are the replacements. I still have bags of bulbs to plant and I need to think of their locations carefully. Work has begun for me and my next day off will not be until Monday, but in between I will have some moments to do some outside work. I look forward to using Free Agent. Thanks for all your help (I discovered the lost post concerning the website to download it in September's posting thru X-news of all things) madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Well I was ever so close to getting all my pinestraw and leaves cleaned up on abaout 5+ acres that I would really prefer the smell of rain and clean grass right now. The rain did me in and at the rate its going right now, it does not look like those leaves and pinestraw are gonna dryout to be able to be vaccumed up anay time soon. One good thing, we don;t get snow so there should still be time before it gets nice again in the spring to finish........

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

well I understand having to clean up property before winter weather tightens things down. That makes for good compost Roy. Perfect as a matter of fact. I bet you have one heck of a pile cooking! And you wouldn't have to wait for them to dry out to put them in a compost pile to work properly. But I figure you know that and I'm being repeticious. Hopefully there will be a period of dry weather and you will get your leaves and pinestraw up before serious winter settles in. madgardener

Reply to
madgardener