Lost corn?

The stalks look healthy, but they are already making tassels, with nary sign of ears.
Nabe nursey guy said it's a lost cause, but I wonder WHY? They were started well, transplanted well, took off like gangbusters. Why did they -- if indeed nursery guy is right -- jump the gun?
Is there still a prayer?
http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/giborah/?action=view&current=Corn-lost.jpg
HB
Add pictures here
✖

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/giborah/?action=view&current=Corn-lost.jpg Tassels always appear before ears. But why the heck are you transplanting corn???
With the high temperatures this summer in most of North America, I'd not count on much of a crop. High temperatures at an early point in pollen development causes sterile pollen.
Add pictures here
✖
m> wrote:

Wow, that's a relief. But an indictment of the nursery guy who told me the opposite.
 But why the heck are you transplanting corn???

When I started them months ago in those little plastic compartments, it was coolish. The entire year has been anomalous in this area. We didn't get any "real" heat until about 10 days ago, but which time the corn was happily leaping toward the sky.
This was my first time starting corn in compartments; normally I just plant in the ground. But I was late with *everything* this year, so thought I'd better err on the side of caution.
We shall see.
HB
Add pictures here
✖

com> wrote:

***Just back from a reconnaissance of corn. Plants *are* making SILK, which ISTR is the sign of ears forming.
Is there a semantic problem? I used the unscientific term "Tassels" in my first post. I was talking about the growth sticking up above the plant, as should have been obvious from earlier pix.
The nursery guy may have misunderstood my q.
Anybody?
HB
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 16:10:22 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

The tassels are the boy parts. The silks are the girl parts. Corn is mostly fertilized by wind. If you're going to plant a small crop plant your corn in a circle for best pollenation.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 1, 4:15 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

il.com> wrote:

This is going on in MY back yard!!! Horrors <g>

They are planted in two rows close to each other. See pic. We have pretty good wind. Will remember about circles for next year -- if we are all spared.
HB
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 18:02:00 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

http://www.gardenguides.com/108586-plant-corn-spirals-vegetable-gardens.html
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 1, 6:22 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

gmail.com> wrote:

Tx for reference. Will keep in mind for next year (if we are all spared).
Comment about #5. It says to hill up around stalk to catch rain water (presumably coming from the heavens). Unfortunately, we have almost NO rain water, esp not in summer. So I am accustomed to making a shallow circular trench around the plant to catch my watering. I assume that will work just as well?
HB
Add pictures here
✖
Higgs Boson wrote:

Whatever... just an earthen dam to help keep whatever moisture from escaping.
Add pictures here
✖

Good news! Either the nursery guy didn't understand, or he doesn't know. I panicked too soon.
The plants are all progressing normally, setting silk and starting ears. So if all goes well, I could be eating corn sometime before I leave on extended trip end Oct.
This is mild Mediterranean climate, So. Calif. coastal, so don't be surprised that we can harvest that late. However, due to that "mythical" global warming, all the seasons are slipping, so who knows...?
HB
Add pictures here
✖