Loppers

I'm in the market for new loppers. I've had the old ones for 18 yrs, and my fingers bang together when they close.
Recommendations?
The local hardware store has a nice-looking pair of bypass loppers for about $30.00. By mail order, Felco are $65! I really like my Felco pruners, but can loppers be worth that?
I have always used bypass pruners (said to damage the wood less), but I see some of the heavier loppers are anvil types.
What do folks like?
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
I have Corona brand loppers, in both anvil and bypass type. I prefer the bypass as it makes for a much cleaner cut, and usually requires a lot less force to cut, and eaier to sharpen when needed.
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:03:50 GMT, Mike Prager

I agree that the byppass loppers are better and I have both. I am attracted to some of the new ones that provide additional mechanical advantage. Agreed that Felco is expensive -- I certainly enjoy their hand pruners.
Dick

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:03:50 +0000, Mike Prager wrote:

With tools, you generaly get what you pay for in this world. If you can afford the felco loppers, I would go for those. Other wise I would tend to stay with corona. My corona loppers have lasted six years of commercial use and abuse with little wear. My third choice would be fiskar. These are somewhat on the same level as corona now'adays.
(A soap box moment...) I would tend to steer clear of anvil pruners/loppers. They take much more muscle to operate and they do much more damage to the item that you pruning. I could only see using anvils on dead wood, but I tend to use a hand saw in those moments.
--
Trees are like children, train them right when their young.....
or spend a lifetime trying to correct them.

I just bought and used a Friskars lopper (bypass) for about $30 from Lowe's and even though they are very light and handle easy they cut through a 1-1/8" limb easily due to the gearing built into the pivot. I have a saw for larger limbs.
Regards,
Hal
Mike Prager wrote:

I have a very old pair of bypass loppers (brand unknown). They have wood handles, which absorb some of the shock when using them (e.g., when you finally cut through a branch and the stops on the blades meet).
Also, I recommend against anything that uses some kind of lever action to increase the force on the blades. If you need that much force to cut a branch, you should be using a pruning saw.
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/
David Ross Wrote:

I agree with Timothy. The anvil are for dead wood and the bypass ar for live wood. New
-- Newt
Thanks to all who replied to my query. I learned quite a bit about loppers.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Mike Prager Wrote:

You're very welcome! New
-- Newt

lets call the felcos 80$ and consider shipping and sales tax now assume they last 18 years like the pair you have worn out disregard that all the parts for a felco are available.
18 years = 6575 days is it worth 8 cents a week to work with a quality tool?
Beecrofter wrote:

That's the conclusion I had come to.
Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:45:52 GMT, Mike Prager

probably cost you at least $40 (or whatever was equivalent when you bought them). You weren't complaining about that price when you mentioned you liked them. But I guarantee you will be complaining (to yourself, at least) if you buy crummy substitutes for a good tool.
Having said that, why not insert a range limiter of some sort in your current pair so you won't bang your knuckles anymore?
k For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp . For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com /