Looking for walkway planting recommendations

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to plant along a 20' walkway to our front door. One side of the walkway will see full sun while the other side will see quite a bit of shade.

I just priced boxwood and almost fainted.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If it has flowers occasionally, that would be nice but not a necessity. I'd like to to be perenial, low- growing and controllable either by natural growth patterns or with clippers. Low cost is definitely a deciding factor since I might want to continue the plantings on other boundries on the property.

I'm in west central Indiana. Zone 5c.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in news:Xns98ED4F9971B20zjlzzjkvjzklzjkljxkl@69.28.186.121:

Hmmm... they would and I love daylilies but I have them in other places and I'd have to think seriously about putting them along the walkway, too. The best thing about daylilies is that they are free around here. Free is good. :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On 3/8/07 8:52 AM, in article esp4e8$hpd$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com, "FragileWarrior"

You could go for some of the low growing daylilies - I have several that are less than a foot tall with the flowers.

And how about sedums? Coral bells (aka huechera), crane's bill geraniums?

Cheryl Isaak

On 2007-03-08 08:20:51 -0500, FragileWarrior

Reply to
scfundogs

Reply to
Carolyn LeCrone

"Carolyn LeCrone" wrote in news:IpGdnbgNqskCpm3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I like this version of it:

drought resistant part works well, too, since we don't water outside plants because of the cost of water here.

Coral bells are nice, too.

Keep suggestin', folks!

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On 2007-03-08 12:03:46 -0500, FragileWarrior plants because of the cost of water here.

I don't know which cultivar I have. So many of the ones on that page have purple flowers and green blades. Ours is in direct sun all day (except about 2' of it which is shaded by the house) and is totally dependent on rain. It can be hacked with the weed-eater, cut into with the lawn mower and played in by frisky dogs who like cool grass and still always look beautiful. It even looks great in the winter. I think you'd literally have to dig it up and leave it out to dry to kill it. Here's some pics of mine from both sides...ignore the dogs.

scfundogs

scfundogs wrote in news:55b3lmF24b408U1 @mid.individual.net:

Cute dogs. :)

In the first photo the plants are a little yellow at the tips. Is that from being trimmed or hit by a mower? Or was it just an off season for it then? The plants in the second photo are lovely.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On 2007-03-08 13:55:07 -0500, FragileWarrior

Reply to
scfundogs

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:20:51 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior growing and controllable either by natural growth patterns or with

Monkey grass is different than lilyturf. The two below links will show Liriope.

below will show you lillyturf, Ophiopogon.
?gclid=CNXdr7yn5ooCFQc1gQodBglLlQNeither of these is an option for you as they are not hardy much further north than zone 7.

Reply to
Jangchub

I often see labels here in SC say Monkey Grass aka Lily Turf. This link to Daves Garden shows it as Liriope Muscari with the common names of Lily Turf, Monkey Grass, Lilyturf and the synonym of Ophiopogon muscari.

scfundogs

suitable for the climate of the original poster and they are different plants, altogether, but look alike. The labels are wrong and should give the botanical name which makes the name universal.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oh well, until spring planting time comes, we might as well discuss whatever we want to discuss. I always check zone recommendations before I buy so everyone might as well just chime in with their favs -- maybe other people will benefit.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On Mar 8, 5:56 pm, FragileWarrior

Reply to
mleblanca

Hakonechlea (sp?) makes a nice edging for sun or shade, if you like the mounding habit (I do).

Reply to
spampot