Looking for walkway planting recommendations

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what to plant along a 20' walkway to our front door. One side of the walkway will see full sun while the other side will see quite a bit of shade.
I just priced boxwood and almost fainted.
Does anyone have any suggestions? If it has flowers occasionally, that would be nice but not a necessity. I'd like to to be perenial, low- growing and controllable either by natural growth patterns or with clippers. Low cost is definitely a deciding factor since I might want to continue the plantings on other boundries on the property.
I'm in west central Indiana. Zone 5c.

Hmmm... they would and I love daylilies but I have them in other places and I'd have to think seriously about putting them along the walkway, too. The best thing about daylilies is that they are free around here. Free is good. :)
On 3/8/07 8:52 AM, in article esp4e8$hpd$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

You could go for some of the low growing daylilies - I have several that are less than a foot tall with the flowers.
And how about sedums? Coral bells (aka huechera), crane's bill geraniums?
On 2007-03-08 08:20:51 -0500, FragileWarrior

I'm a big fan of monkey grass (Lily grass?). I use it along my walkway, as a border in some of my beds and plant it closer than recommended so its super-thick and has a lovely drape to it. I don't know if it grows well in your area as I'm in zone 8.
--
Tara

I think another name for lily grass may be liriope. It comes is several variegations and sizes.
said:

several

I like this version of it: http://classygroundcovers.com/item--Liriope-m-Christmas-Tree-%7B50-Bare - Root-plants%7D-muscari-Border-Grass--340
The drought resistant part works well, too, since we don't water outside plants because of the cost of water here.
Coral bells are nice, too.
Keep suggestin', folks!
On 2007-03-08 12:03:46 -0500, FragileWarrior

I don't know which cultivar I have. So many of the ones on that page have purple flowers and green blades. Ours is in direct sun all day (except about 2' of it which is shaded by the house) and is totally dependent on rain. It can be hacked with the weed-eater, cut into with the lawn mower and played in by frisky dogs who like cool grass and still always look beautiful. It even looks great in the winter. I think you'd literally have to dig it up and leave it out to dry to kill it. Here's some pics of mine from both sides...ignore the dogs.
http://homepage.mac.com/taraosment/miscpics/PhotoAlbum19.html
--
Tara

Bare-
outside
Cute dogs. :)
In the first photo the plants are a little yellow at the tips. Is that from being trimmed or hit by a mower? Or was it just an off season for it then? The plants in the second photo are lovely.
On 2007-03-08 13:55:07 -0500, FragileWarrior

It was either December or January when the ones with the black puppies were taken so that's winter tip-yellowing. It doesn't get any worse than what you saw. The two with the Boxer are summer pics so its all green.
--
Tara

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:20:51 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Monkey grass is different than lilyturf. The two below links will show Liriope.
http://magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Liriope_Aztec.html
The below will show you lillyturf, Ophiopogon. http://classygroundcovers.com/cat----OPHIOPOGON&affl=google-mondo-grass?gclid=CNXdr7yn5ooCFQc1gQodBglLlQ
Neither of these is an option for you as they are not hardy much further north than zone 7.

I often see labels here in SC say Monkey Grass aka Lily Turf. This link to Daves Garden shows it as Liriope Muscari with the common names of Lily Turf, Monkey Grass, Lilyturf and the synonym of Ophiopogon muscari.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1612/index.html
--
Tara

Common names mean nothing to me. The point is, neither of these are suitable for the climate of the original poster and they are different plants, altogether, but look alike. The labels are wrong and should give the botanical name which makes the name universal.
said:

show
Oh well, until spring planting time comes, we might as well discuss whatever we want to discuss. I always check zone recommendations before I buy so everyone might as well just chime in with their favs -- maybe other people will benefit. <shrug>

Well I had to re-cycle my brain back about 20 years, and here are a few I recall:
shade: hosta, bleeding heart, astilbe, ferns and columbine
sun: echinacea, peony, phlox, shasta daisy, rudbeckia, coreopsis, delphinium, hardy geranium (Johnson's Blue is pretty) I always liked deep purple N.E. Aster and goldenrod I have them in a border with rudbeckia and grasses, and echinacea (coneflower)
Yes, the dwarf/mini daylilies are really nice, too. I have several, Mambo Maid (red) Hollywood Tootsie (orange) Little Gypsy Vagabond (cream with purple eye) and Green Flutter (yellow-green w/ green eye) there are so many now to choose from. Have fun, FW!
Emilie in NorCal where flowering plum and daffs are in full bloom sorry, I just had to say it :^ )
mleblanca wrote:

Hakonechlea (sp?) makes a nice edging for sun or shade, if you like the mounding habit (I do).