looking for sarsaparilla

Page 2 of 2
Hi lgb, I live in Spokane now, and I can guarantee that we have no sassafras here, and no nurseries that would consider selling it - even in the arboretum....LOL. I guess it's the price we pay for having virtually no mosquitos from late June until October.
Eastern Washington and I've never seen one

Sarsaparilla beverage is made from the roots of the sassafras tree -- see http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_354.html . They are widely distributed in the eastern US. I used to chew on sassafras twigs as a youngster. Now is not the time to plant one, but several online nurseries offer them. Just Google for "sassafras tree."
Cheers,
Karl W.
I am trying to find a source for sarsaparilla for us to grow - We are in Southern Mississippi... we love root beer, and my sister has started making teas with what she finds at the herb shops, but we want to grow it, not buy it in bulk...
I have searched Burpee's, and done google searches looking for a source... does anyone have ideas on where to obtain some?