Looking for Prunus 'Daikoku'

I can't seem to find a source for this flowering cherry anywhere. Is there still a nursery here in the U.S. that still grows these? It's reported to be a better tree than 'Pink Perfection', but if that were true then why is it so hard to find?

Thanks in advance, Bob

Reply to
Robert B. Marsh

I think you've answered your own question. There are many Japanese cultivars of ornamental cherries that are no longer in commercial production, most likely because they have features that are virutally indistinguishable from other, more common forms or because they are more difficult to propagate or fail to thrive as easily/more prone to insects and diseases.

Here, the double flowering pink cherry of choice is 'Kwanzan', a close relative of Pink Perfection - far superior flowering and hardiness in a climate that can take its toll on ornamantal cherries. The Pink Perfection in the Washington Park Arboretum (which has an extenive ornamental cherry collection) looks sickly and anemic with very sparce flowering.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal