Looking for LONG reach tree pruner

The longest reach tree pruner I've been able to find is a Fiskar that extends to about 13'. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a longer one??

Reply to
tomkanpa

I made my own by using a 14' paint roller extension and ductaping a blade to the end of it. Some of the paint roller extensions are pretty sturdy so I would guess you could ductape your 13 foot tree trimmer to one of these and get another 6' or more out of it.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

I don't know where to locate one, but I know that what you are seeking is available somewhere. A former neighbor had a pruner with a pole that came in three wooden sections. When all three sections were used, the reach was pretty amazing. Obviously, the pruner was heavy and difficult to use unless it was held relatively vertical.

The neighbor was Japanese and he may have brought the pruner with him when he moved to the U.S.

If you can't locate one with the reach that you want, then you certainly could build your own pole pruner.

Good luck, Gideon

==================

tomkanpa wrote:

The longest reach tree pruner I've been able to find is a Fiskar that extends to about 13'.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a longer one??

Reply to
Gideon

Several brands of poles are available from arborist supply houses. You might find a telescoping pole like the ones you see at the home despot, but your best bet is interlocking poles of wood or fiberglass. You can keep adding more till you get it as long as you want. Then you buy a separate saw head or pruner (or both) that lock into the top. Make sure you have a male ferrule on one end and a female on the other--sometimes you get a crutch tip on the bottom and you can't connect another pole below it. As was mentioned, they get pretty unwieldy beyond about 15-20 feet. If you are getting the pull-cord type pruner, spiral the cord around the pole a couple of times before pulling to avoid bowing/breakage.

is a good supplier. You can get a whole lot of other options by googling arborist supply. Unfortunately, you will pay a UPS surcharge because they are so long (well, you can buy them in 4-ft lengths, but that adds up fast). You might call around to chainsaw shops in your area--they often have a handful of items for the arborist trade. In that case, you'd probably have to buy the poles locally and the pruner head by mail, unless you have a really good chainsaw shop.

Treedweller

I have a saw that is like a chain saw chain (blade) with a rope on each end. You toss it over the limb and saw it off using a back and forth motion. Of course, I get my head dropped on every now and then.

chaz

Reply to
chaz

On 22 Aug 2005 10:32:02 -0700, "tomkanpa" wrote:

Reply to
Coal Porter