Looking For Climate-Appropriate Plants

Hello, I just joined your group and I'm hoping to find some suggestions here. I live in Northern Kentucky and I am about to take on a fairly large project. My husband is recently disabled and I work full time and I'm really not wanting to mow a lawn for the next 3-4 months! My plan is to dig up the front yard (the yard is very small), then replace the grass with some red rock. I'd like to plant a few flowers/plants around as well and I am wondering if anyone knows of some good plants that will look nice throughout these hot and humid summers we have here in Ky? Thanx!!!

Reply to
Southpaw

How long does it take to mow your lawn?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Not long, maybe 15 minutes.

Reply to
Southpaw

OK. I have 1/4 acre. Mine takes 90 minutes with a walking mower at medium speed (it's bumpy land). If your main reason for turning lawn into garden is to save mowing time, I'd say stick with the grass. A garden will require more than 15 minutes a week to keep it nice looking.

On the other hand, lawns are really boring, and don't belong in most climates to begin with. We inherited the stupid lawn tradition from the British, whose climate is more suitable for grass. So, should we continue talking about converting grass to flowers? :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yes, definitely converting....I agree, grass is boring! I love flowers and foliage and for some reason, spending time to take care of them doesn't bother me.....but mowing and taking care of a grass lawn......it's a real snoozer for me! lol Not to mention, the 'grass' in my area is basically crap! Very weedy; I'd just asoon get rid of it! =)

Reply to
Southpaw