Long Island - Dahlias

Hello,
In my zone, will dahlias survive if left in the ground or should I dig them out and store them?
This is my first season for planting them, and they did great in my garden and also in pots on my deck. Most did so well, they fell over and re-sprouted, sometimes more than once- so they look like waves.
Thanks
Dig them up!
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

OK will do. Any tips on storing them?
On 28 Sep 2003 13:28:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:
<> <>Dig them up!<> <> <> "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"< < <OK will do. Any tips on storing them? <
I have a friend across the sound from you in Fairfield, that leaves them in the ground in the southern exposure beds near the foundation. I'm always amazed to see them come up the next year, although I can't say how many do. I live a few more miles inland and dig them up although some stragglers have wintered over and produced the next year.
As to storage, I keep them in a dark corner of my unheated basement and have only lost the occassional tuber to rot. My understanding is that a heated basement is not a good thing.
-c,porter.
On 28 Sep 2003 12:24:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

As soon as the frost kills the flowers, DIG THEM UP! Rinse them off, dry them. Store them in a cool dry place but don't allow them to freeze. I failed to dig them up one year and lost everyone of them. I'm in East Yaphank, (North Shirley), Long Island. snipped-for-privacy@mmco.com