Little pieces of stained glass

Lady Blacksword

Madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7?, Sunset zone 36 (there's talk of kicking us back a notch to 6b again................)

Reply to
SKYlark

It is bad form to post in HTML.

Reply to
Travis

Posting in HTML is frowned upon.

Reply to
Travis

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Reply to
madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

and....this means that person could not send it to me in private email????

Reply to
SKYlark

You and your correspondents may send each other anything you like.

Posting HTML in newsgroups is frowned upon.

Reply to
Travis

I loved the pictures! It was almost 70 here today so I worked out in my gardens. Of course there are no flowers except daffodils and a few crocuses yet. I am edging all my beds this year. I also planted 4 roses that I bought at Sam's last week. 2 of them are Mr. Lincoln and 2 are Sonia. Not bad for $10 apiece, I thought. I'm SO ready for spring!

Reply to
loonyhiker

and that sucking sound is the unmistakable sound of someone being a bit anal. And just when does posting a JPG of a gardening wonder constitute being frowned upon? And just to let you know, without meaning to be smart ass or sarcastic, Travis, I'm sure you're a fine person and a great gardener, but honestly, if you feel you need to frown upon me, honey you just go right ahead and crease those frown lines. I'll just grin at you like some idiot madgardener and roll my eyes and notice that you haven't smelled the sarcasm. You can frown all you want, but all you hafta do it just notice that my posting a JPG doesn't hafta be opened up or viewed. Not everyone visits the alt.bianaries.gardens.pictures newsgroup (and I don't get nearly a fourth of the wonderful pictures I see responses to anyway, so I hardly bother. )

I mean, whattaya g> >> From: "Travis"

Reply to
madgardener

The following things can happen when a binary is posted in a non-binary group:

  1. Some servers won't even accept the message.
  2. People on dial-up, especially those that pay by the minute, may find themselves paying for crap they didn't want in the first place.
  3. Most servers allocate a certain amount of space for each group based on whether the group is a discussion or binary group. Essentially everytime someone posts a text message in a text group, an old message is deleted. When someone posts a binary, a couple hundred old messages may end up deleted. Not a big deal if there was three or four months worth of messages there, but a big deal if the server in question only had about a week's worth of messages. One big picture could delete a lot of messages that people didn't get a chance to read yet.

Essentially, posting a binary in a discussion group is an extremely selfish thing to do. Perhaps the most selfish thing someone can do on Usenet. It's on par with draining the community well to water your garden, even though it means others may go dry.

But if you're so sure that you're more important that the whole community, go right ahead and show us how selfish you can be.

Posting in html is better than posting a binary, but it's still pretty selfish. Not everyone uses an html newsreader, and some who do turn off html to lessen the risk of getting a virus or acquiring a trojan. Posting in html says that you think what you have to say is more important than practicing safe computing practices.

Why do you need a fancy font, anyway? Does a fancy font make the message better? Does it mean that the words are not enough?

But again, if you feel you're more important than the rest of us, go right ahead.

You must be fun to follow at the buffet table.

Reply to
Warren

You posted in plain text.

Thank you.

Reply to
Travis

Thank you Warren. You are a much better wordsmith than I.

Reply to
Travis

The message from "madgardener" contains these words:

For goodness sake, M, don't shoot the messengers for politely passing on the basic facts of usenet life you were blithely ignorant of :-) Travis and Warren are right on all counts.

Next week; the truth about the tooth fairy.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

i happen to be on dial-up, sweetums, and if i see a posting that has an attachment with .jpg, .mpg, .wav, etc., i DO NOT HAVE TO OPEN IT UNLESS I WANT TO!!!!!

madgardener's description was so wonderful i JUST HAD TO SEE IT!!! even at

56K!!!!!
Reply to
SKYlark

So everyone is the same as you?

We had a discussion about off-line newsreading a couple of weeks ago. In case you missed that one, one of the ways people deal with dial-up is to automatically download the whole group, and then read it off-line. The advantage is that you don't tie-up the phone line while you're reading, and deciding what messages to download.

If someone goes and posts a binary to a non-binary group, it will automatically be queued-up with the rest of the messages for download. The options are to either put up with some self-centered person who doesn't understand that their binary file doesn't belong in a discussion group, or take the time every, single day to manually choose which messages to download, and which messages not to download.

In other words just because you've found a way to lessen the impact of selfish posters that works for you doesn't mean that your method will work for everyone, or even anyone, else. It's like saying I'm a good enough driver that I can avoid getting hit by a drunk driver, so why can't everyone else?

Please don't justify the selfish actions of others by blaming the victims..

Reply to
Warren

PLONK-idiot

Reply to