lining a whiskey barrel

Page 1 of 2
If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6 mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I assume it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells up. I want to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a commercial barrel liner. Thanks.
Bob

It'll work until it doesn't, and that moment cannot be predicted. But, since you say you're cheap, you have alternative.

Buy half-barrel. Turn it over so that the closed end is in the air. Use flat ended tool like a file to hammer hoops down tight. Set hoops in place with short nails. Turn half-barrel over, open end up. Splash interior and fill with water. Half barrel will leak. Re-fill as needed. Repeat for 4-5 days or until leaking stops. If leaks are small, insert wooden tooth pick into crack and hammer in. If leak is large, get a liner.
Good luck.
- Bill

I had a half wiskey barrel now for five years and it swells and does not leak at all. This year I have two ponds for my lotus and waterlillies so I have the wiskey barrel used for a nice container planting using phormium, variegated vinca minor, esperanza and variegated morning glories. I'll take photos when it's filled in.
Just be very chosey when you pick out the barrel half. snug up hoops and fill with water., may leak for a day or two but it will eventually stop. I have three halfs so far that hold water as good as a liner does..We put aquatic flowers in them the first year or two as the smell was a bit hard to try and remove, but now they also hold fish without a problem.
wrote: <<>>If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6 <<>>mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I <<>>assume it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells <<>>up. I want to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a <<>>commercial barrel liner. Thanks. <<>> <<>>Bob
------- I forgot more about ponds and koi than I'll ever know!

Buy a cheap shower curtain liner at WalMart. They cost less than $4. Line barrel and cut of excess. They're heavy enough to last several years, if not longer.

Or maybe some store, like maybe Costco, that treats their staff like human beings, and doesn't throw them on the taxpayers for medical care. And does not force their suppliers to cut prices so far that they, in turn, are forced to go offshore, costing more Americans their jobs.
Frontline -- the best program on TV for my money -- a few months ago aired a thorough examination of Walmart's ripple effect on our economy.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view /
Persephone
They cost less than $4. Line

<Persephone> wrote in message >>> If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6

Not eveyone has acess to a Costco. Everyone has a WalMart. Yes, I agree, they're pretty bad but you can find anything there for less than anywhere else. For those of us who are retired or making a low income, they're the place to shop.

The problem is that people believe what you just said is true for everything. Here (Rochester NY), their groceries are NOT cheaper than at the two real supermarkets. True believers have a hard time with this.
On Sun, 20 May 2007 22:14:03 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Actually, that's the ignorance of the consumer, not the fault of Walmart prices. People are very lazy and they don't know what the relative prices for merchandise actually are.
I've gone into Macy's or Dillards at the end of a season and bought beautiful linen shirts, pants, 400 thread count sheets, etc. all very, very inexpensively. Probably less than Walmart and twice the quality. Even Kohl's is a good alternative to Walmart. I shop Walmart because it's convenient. Nothing I do will ever change anything. All of America has to rise up to put an end to Walmart and that is not about to happen any time soon.
Shopping Wally World for food is a crap shoot. Its not uncommn for lts of folks to place refridgerated grocery items in a cart play around the store for an hour or two and then slip it back on a shelf elsewhere and let the clerks find it, or go back and put t in the refer sectin and let John Q. Public buy it.....It is very common espeically where yu have a large influx of so called minority foks around........or old folks.and yes even middle or upper class other folks.......not saying it doe snot happen in other grocery stores but its prevalent in Wally World for sure.........
------- I forgot more about ponds and koi than I'll ever know!

You are such a steaming pile. People are lucky if they have time to help their kids with their homework much less learning to count threads for material they can't afford. Poverty is built into the system so that there will be cheap labor. "The Protestant Work Ethic" was designed to suck the joy out of life and to blame the poor for their own misery. Walmart has 300%-400% turnover in their employees so that they don't have to pay benefits. Walmart was referring their staff to the local emergency rooms for health care, where, of course, they pay more than the insured. Here are people, who are willing to work and, the system games them. It is obvious that you don't even have a nodding relationship with humility or compassion. You are beneath contempt.
- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (not this time)

Bone up on your reading comprehension...or not.
[...]

History is full of examples of one person doing something that changed everything.
All of

[...]
Yeah, if they all think like you, right, it won't happen.
Zombies back from the dead. I killed this author as snipped-for-privacy@kopan.com and here it is, back from the grave. Get a lot of rejection do you?

What are you talking about???
On Mon, 21 May 2007 17:36:14 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

He's trying to belittle me for some reason. Hahahahahahahahaha. Like that's easy to do. I guess I'm killed from his sight. Yavo!

re-work. There is enough stupid in the world already so, I try to trim some of it out of my life. Last time around "it" was leaving the country because of some radio commercial. This time "it" blames the victims for shopping at Wally World because they hope to save a few dimes to pay for electricity or fix the car before it dies. Not everyone knows about the book "Fast Food Nation" or has the time to watch the DVD "The High Cost of Low Price". Those of us that do, need to bang the pots and point out how we are getting ripped-off. Do you (I know you know JoeSpareBedroom but since I got the soapbox, I might as well preachify a little.) really want to wear Nikes, when you know the person making them got a couple of dollars a day, if they are lucky? Do you really want to raise the price of food by chasing off the Mexicans? Some of whom came to their old country because, welfare for agri-corporations in the US of A in 2005 totaled a staggering $21,057,000,000. Would you be surprised to know that Mexican farmers have a hard to impossible time competing against American grown corn? Harumph!
Anyway, I've had enough vain, arrogant, stupid to last me a life-time. Jangchub goes in my "kill file". I got more important things to piss me off.
Sorry for the misunderstanding JoeSpareBedroom. Your one of the good-guys in my book.
I really got to talk to my doctor about my meds. Well, that's all from ol' alligator mouth for now.
Affirmations for Personal Growth
1. As I let go of my feelings of guilt, I am in touch with my inner sociopath. 2. I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia. 3. I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault. 4. I no longer need to punish, deceive, or compromise myself, unless I want to stay employed. 5. In some cultures what I do would be considered normal. 6. Having control over myself is almost as good as having control over others. 7. My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of self-judgment. 8. I honor my personality flaws for without them I would have no personality at all. 9. I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious, self-righteous people around me. 10. I need not suffer in silence while I can still moan, whimper, and complain. 11. As I learn the innermost secrets of people around me, they reward me in many ways to keep me quiet. 12. When someone hurts me, I know that forgiveness is cheaper than a lawsuit, but not nearly as gratifying. 13. The first step is to say nice things about myself. The second, to do nice things for myself. The third, to find someone to buy me nice things. 14. As I learn to trust the universe, I no longer need to carry a gun. 15. All of me is beautiful, even the ugly, stupid, and disgusting parts. 16. I am at one with my duality. 17. Blessed are the flexible, for they can tie themselves into knots. 18. Only a lack of imagination saves me from immobilizing myself with imaginary fears. 19. I will strive to live each day as if it were my 50th birthday. 20. I honor and express all facets of my being, regardless of state and local laws. 21. Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so!" 22. False hope is better than no hope at all. 23. A good scapegoat is almost as good as a solution. 24. Who can I blame for my problems? Just give me a minute.... I'll find someone. 26. Why should I waste my time reliving the past when I can spend it worrying about the future? 27. The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working. 28. I am learning that criticism is not nearly as effective as sabotage. 29. Becoming aware of my character defects leads me naturally to the next step of blaming my parents. 30. To have a successful relationship I must learn to make it look like I'm giving as much as I'm getting. 31. I am willing to make the mistakes if someone else is willing to learn from them. 32. Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Boy, I hate doing

Keep your day job. A writer you're not.

I'm sure the killfile gives you immense feelings of power.

Not any more.

I was just going to suggest that you check your meds.

And what brings you to this epiphany? I'm just banging on a pot. A little CONSTRUCTIVE criticism never hurt. Don't be so terse.

No feeling of power. I'm just tired of the barking so, I'll shut the window.

Sorry Joe, I'm not that fickle. You're stuck with me liking you.

Gotta' work on your sense of humor boy. You're to young to be that old. If you can't indulge in a little self-deprecation once and awhile, who can you deprecate?