Lime addition

I bought this Lime (dolometic lime for lawn and gardens). I brought it home to apply in an area infested with moss and heavy rain overflows. I found out that the damn lime powder does not fall through the rotary spreader or drop spreader (SCOTTS). How do you folks apply lime powder to the lawn?

Reply to
Virgil Caine

I don't add lime unless I want to raise the soils pH, which I usually never do. Nearly all plants that you want to keep or encourage to grow, prefer a pH of 6.5 or less. The higher you go, the more chance you have of killing your good plants and encouraging the weeds to grow. I would do a pH test of your soil and see what pH your type of grass prefers.

To answer your question, you may have to put it out by hand, or try another spreader that agitates the product inside the spreader storage area, while broadcasting it out from the bottom.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Apparenty you bought ground Dolomitic limestone. It is difficult to feed accurately through a lawn spreader. You may try a more wide open setting on your rotary spreader. If that does not work you may try broadcasting. I don't know where you live, most soils in the east except the natural limestones soils will be acidic. A soil test is always reccommended. But limestone/ or dolomitic limestone is neutral, so the danger of making your soil basic is not a problem. Dolomite is Calcium Magnesium carbonate, a good source of magnesium if you need, but slower to react with acid in the soil than calcium carbonate (Limestone)

Reply to
farmerdill

The core issue here is using lime to eliminate moss in your lawn. Lime will increase the alkalinity of your soil, but that's not what encourages the growth of the moss. Rather, it's that moss tends to grow in shady, moist, compacted areas. To rid the area of the moss, you'll have to change the moss-favorable conditions. In my humble opinion, moss IS better than bare ground, which is likely what you'd have if not for the moss. Here's a nice publication from the Extension in Wisconsin about this very subject:

any event, before changing the pH of your soil -- for whatever purpose -- it's best to have your soil tested first to see what the pH actually is.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Reply to
Plant Info

Reply to
<elaine_h

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

You are so right, Elaine. Shady, poorly drained soil -- clay is the worst! -- is the perfect place for moss. I've no doubt the remains of the bag of lime were simply accidental and didn't contribute to the moss.

Reply to
Plant Info

Reply to
<elaine_h