Lily of the Valley 'pips'?

What part of the plant is a 'pip' and when is the best time to harvest for selling or giving away? I have a bezillion LoVs that spread and spread.
The 'pip' is the 'just underground' rhizome and can be lifted and replanted at any time from October to March. They grow well in partial shade, especially if the ground is compost rich and moist. Best Wishes. Brian [they don't grow well for me!]

they may not grow well for you cause you are pampering them too much. ours grow under the lilac. not rich, not moist. I have transplanted dirt clumps of them tossed onto compost heaps where they were growing just fine. the only thing I can say is I have never seen them thrive in full sun in the middle of a lawn. Ingrid
They grow well in partial shade,

Indeed. They grow under our deck where it's dark nearly the entire time along with a lone daylily.

Sorry -- forgot to thank you, Brian, for the info. You will see me out beside the house in October lifting pips.
Mine are growing on the N side of the house in mostly shade and mostly clay (Zone 7b). I had them all dug up (and tossed, alas) a number of years ago, but they crept back.