Lily of the Valley

I have an area that I want Lily of the valley to run rampant, would also like a possible companion plant?

Anyway, if I plant the pips here in the midwest right now, will the plants come up this summer?

How would it work?

I guess maybe they sell the whole plants as well but this will be a large area.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
mkr5000

possible companion plant?

Lily of the valley are invasive and exclusionary... most similar size plants will likely be crowded out... plant shrubs/trees.

up this summer?

With proper conditions will typically come up shortly after planting

What's a large area... is that like large breasts?

Reply to
Brooklyn1

a possible companion plant?

come up this summer?

transplanting while the plant is dormant is a good time to do it.

if you are buying plants there is a good chance that you can divide them in half or fourths and still have them take. depends upon how large the plant is to begin with. take one apart when you buy them and see what you've got before chopping.

i would not companion plant anything with them for a season or two. this fall i'd poke random patches of spring bulbs in (crocus and the early spring dutch irises) to have some variety.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

a possible companion plant?

Our lily of the valley don't seem to grow thick enough to crowd anything out. But they don't stay in place either. We have some coming up through Vinca. I don't think I'd plant them that way on purpose though.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Thanks for the info -- I have a large area near the northside (shady) of my= house and the soil is crap. Every time it rains it hits the dirt and splas= hes it's magic all over my foundation and some raised planters. It's a wood= ed area near there and grass won't grow, nor do I want it to, so the invasi= ve part doesn't bother me. My Grandma used to have Lily of the Valley and I= like how robust the little plants are, thought it would be a good choice f= or this "rain buffer" idea. Thought of ajuga but it's taking too long to sp= read.

Pips seem to be a real bargain so I'll plant a lot of them.

Reply to
mkr5000

how do you plant the "pips"? is it obvious when I get them? like roots on them?

or a direction up like a bulb?

Reply to
mkr5000

Brooklyn1