Lilies

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about lilies. I was thinking about putting them in my yard along a fence to hide it...is this a good choice? How hardy are they? If I plant them now, how long before they'd be approx. 3ft high? Any info is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what zone I am, I'm in upstate NY near Buffalo. Thanks Cg
Gntry wrote:

What kind of lilies? I think you could grow daylilies up there, we had them in MA, growing wild. Not sure about the oriental lilies or plants like Easter lilies. You have a few options. They'll all get a few feet high, but only in midsummer, so it won't hide your fence the rest of the year.
Dawn
Lilies probably won't grow than 2 feet tall. I planted a 120 foot row of Rose of Sharon to hide my neighbor's cyclone fence and barking dog. The hedge is now 10 feet tall and blooms from mid summer to fall, draws bees and hummingbirds, then drops its leaves in the fall. I trim it back every fall to keep it contained. It provides excellent privacy during the summer/fall months when I need it. I got lots of compliments from the neighbors. ROS grows well in Cleveland, Ohio, so it should do well in Buffalo.

Phisherman wrote:

Some of my Asiatic and Oriental lilies have grown to 5' tall. Nearly all are over 3'. Of course my daylillies don't grow anywhere near that high.
"Lillies" covers such a broad category, you can't make a blanket statement about them not growing more than 2' tall unless you qualify that by saying what kind of lillies you're talking about -- or at least narrow it down a bit.
--
Warren H.

In fact foxtail lilies (eremurus) can grow up to 9 feet tall! However, their flowering is over in July, and then you have a tall brown stem to look at the rest of the summer.

Not very. Oriental lily foliage is thin and sparse, and the plants die back each year. The blooms las only a few weeks, and the rest of the time they're just 1 tall stem with some thin leaves.