Lightning debarked my tree

Last night my river birch was hit by lightning. I guess that explains why you shouldn't stand under a tree during a storm.
Anyway, the tree is still standing, but it lost a significant portion of its bark on about the bottom 20 ft. of the trunk. There are no scorch marks, so I guess the bark was just popped off when the moisture underneath turned to steam instantaneously. I collected a garbage can full of bark chunks.
Do I need to do anything to the denuded areas, or just leave it alone?
Is there a chance the tree will actually survive long term. I assume its innards got quite a jolt, but don't know what that means to a tree.
Peabody wrote:

A tree guy told me that most trees die as a result of lightning strikes. The damage doesn't look bad, a crack down the side and some missing bark. But, insects get in and over a period of years, kill the tree.

A black oak was hit a few years ago. About one third of the circumference was blown off. Tree is repairing itself slowly. I assume a total girdle spells death but even then damage may come back. I'd look at the size and scale of the damage and go slow. If it is a potential danger it may have to come down. Better safer than sorry .
Bill
--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted ((C) ) material the use of