Leylandii robbed soil

Hi.I've just removed a large leylandii tree approx 20ft x 15ft spread,it's been in about 25 years.I've dug in a lot of compost and removed as much debris and root and needles as possible.Can anybody advise my as what plants would tolerate this soil.
Thanks
--
renedrag

As long as you've replenished the organic matter and therefore nutrients in the soil with the application of compost, you can plant anything you want. Large conifers do not 'poison' the soil......they only remove soil nutrients and moisture from the immediate area. Adding compost or other organic matter that will replace nutrients and assist in moisture retention is all that is needed.