Leylandii

I need help with some young Leylandii pruning. I think I have wrongly cut the tops out of my 4ft trees. Will this cause a problem. Will they find a new top. They were very spindly and I wanted them to thicken up. I want them to be as thick as possible and height isn't a problem. Any advice appreciated.
--
rachbambino