Levelling out a lawn

For voulenteer work I do turf cutting at the church my Mum goes to, up until now I've used a rotary push mower and a rotary lawn tractor but just yesterday I bought a Ransomes Marquis 20" cylinder mower which I plan to use there.
The problem is the lawns are a bit bumpy, this isn't a problem in the Garden of Rememberance or the Vicarage front lawns but on the activity field the turf is really bumpy at some points.
My Mum told me the solution to this would be to just keep going over the lawn with the cylinder mower and over time it'll flatten it out, will this work or not?
Thanks Aled
--
Aled Owen

You just need to keep on mowing the lawn and eventually the bumpy surface would improve definently.It does require a lot of hard work but it might be the solution
--
Hammad1