Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

Here are some tiny flowering weeds or wildflowers photographed around the edges of our property. I wonder if anyone can name any of these:

A bright blue flower, shown bigger than life size:

bright purple pea-like flower, bigger than life size:
extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow flowers:
bright orange daisy-like thing, shown bigger than life size, three inches tall:
seems to be a volunteer alyssum but its so much smaller than any cultivated alyssum I've seen; shown twice life size:
the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat the ratgirl

spot every year here.

Kate

Reply to
kate

Actually that was my thought too - something close to the species! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Frog fruit has darker centers, but do a search to see if it is similar.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee

"........

Reminds me of feverfew, but probably isn't.

Actually that was my thought too - something close to the species! Cheryl .........."

You must have a very different form of feverfew to that which I know, see

David Hill

resembles bugloss (Boraginaceae)>An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow flowers:

oxalis corniculata

resembles gazania (Gazania rigens) sed5555

Reply to
Sed5555

Reply to
gregpresley

I used to grow feverfew - if you let the seedlings self seed they looked a bit like that - tiny flowers. The leaves might have helped with getting a better ID.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Phacelia campanularia, Desert Bluebell

be morocanna.

The other three are still mysteries: An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow flowers, which is certainly a locally native wildflower around Puget Sound:

last two came out of a so-called western wildflower seed mix, but the name of the mix obviously didn't mean only wildflowers actually native to the west. A bright orange daisy-like thing, shown bigger than life size, three inches tall:
seems to be a volunteer alyssum but its so much smaller than any cultivated alyssum I've seen; shown twice life size:

paghat

This looks like the black medic I find around my place, so my guess is Medicago lupulina.

Karen Portland, OR

Reply to
Anonny Moose

The orange daisy I agree with Gazania

The white alyssum looks like a sweet alyssum (Lobularia) to me>The last two came out of a so-called western wildflower seed mix, but the

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

That was a super good guess, especially given how crappy my photo was. I just now went out to the street edge to see if it had any of the little black seeds of Black Medic, & it doesn't, but your suggestion led me to a website that noted Black Medic and Least Hop Clover greatly look alike. Turns out it's Trifolium dubium, one of the commonest early spring roadside weeds.

One way or t'other, this newsgroup is so often so helpful.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Well, gee-ez. Least Hop Clover is one I've never heard of and I'm going to check it out. Maybe that's actually what I have! Karen

Reply to
Anonny Moose

Thanks-thanks! That's the one.

Thanks again to all helpers. There are so many things that pop up here & there that I don't know what are, some invasive weeds, some native weeds & wildflowers, some from wildflower seed mixes turned loose in the neighborhood over the years. There are a half-dozen kinds of wild crane's-bills of which I've only identified two with any certainty, & many dandylion-like flowers that turn to fluff on plants that aren't dandylions. It'd be so great to have the kind of knowledge, eye, & memory that would permit one to just look at a meadow & start naming the flowers one after another.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Reply to
Garrapata

It turns out to be hops clover, which enough resembles medick that medick is occasionally called hops clover too.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat