less pungent alternative to onions?

I LOVE onions. I enjoy growing them, and using them in a variety of recipes and cooking.
My wife, on the other hand, loathes them. She especially hates the smell of them cooking, but can tolerate the taste somewhat once they are cooked.
For some time, I've been wondering if there is something similar tasting in the gardening world that doesn't smell quite as strong when being prepared and cooked?
We've had a lot of arguments over this. I really don't want to give up on onions, but would be willing to try an alternative to try to make my wife happy. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

There are many, many types of onions, from powerfully strong to meekly mild. Ask your produce manager.

The World Health Organization (WHO) supports the use of onions for the treatment of poor appetite and to prevent atherosclerosis. http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info/updates/onions.php
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.
OhioGuy wrote:

I dislike onions, but I can stand leeks.
Brian
--
Day 191 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Val wrote:

This wouild be my suggestion. Leeks in particular are easy to grow.
David

close. Leeks are for potato soup and for people who don't really like chicken soup....
--
Running on single malt in U.S.A.
USDA zone 9b

For Leeks
<http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5FidR&mscssidJGPRGTVERDLP8GRM5R9VJNAPU2HSAKQB
For Shallots
<http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fidg&mscssidJGPRGTVERDLP8GRM5R9VJNAPU2HSAKQB
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

There are a large variety of plants in the onion family. Chives grow year round, although they grow better at lower temperatures. They are hardy in most areas and at the dead of winter they are they only green thing in the vegetable garden.

Maybe leeks?
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /