less pungent alternative to onions?

You could buy her a Mercedes... she'll learn to love onions.

There are many, many types of onions, from powerfully strong to meekly mild. Ask your produce manager.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I LOVE onions. I enjoy growing them, and using them in a variety of recipes and cooking.

My wife, on the other hand, loathes them. She especially hates the smell of them cooking, but can tolerate the taste somewhat once they are cooked.

For some time, I've been wondering if there is something similar tasting in the gardening world that doesn't smell quite as strong when being prepared and cooked?

We've had a lot of arguments over this. I really don't want to give up on onions, but would be willing to try an alternative to try to make my wife happy. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Reply to
OhioGuy

The World Health Organization (WHO) supports the use of onions for the treatment of poor appetite and to prevent atherosclerosis.

Billy

I dislike onions, but I can stand leeks.

Brian

Reply to
Default User

This wouild be my suggestion. Leeks in particular are easy to grow.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Philistine; remember to vet the next one a little more closely....

Shallots. Milder and sweeter than onions. Leeks don't even come close. Leeks are for potato soup and for people who don't really like chicken soup....

Reply to
Balvenieman

For Leeks

For Shallots

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

Which is easier to grow, leek or shallots? Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive source for a number of bulb varieties? Thanks!

Reply to
OhioGuy

There are a large variety of plants in the onion family. Chives grow year round, although they grow better at lower temperatures. They are hardy in most areas and at the dead of winter they are they only green thing in the vegetable garden.

Reply to
Phisherman

Beats me

Reply to