Lemon Tree - deformed leaves

The last growth spurt on my lemon tree ended up with deformed leaves See picture:
http://users.rcn.com/jmagerl/lemon%20tree.jpg
What caused it? There are no aphids or other bugs. It's 3 ft tall and in a pot.
Jmagerl wrote:

That looks like spider mites or other small bugs. Some are too small to really see without a magnifying glass.
When I see this on my citrus, I spray with malathion. I squirt some liquid soap into the sprayer after adding the water; the soap is a cheap wetting agent. Since malathion persists only about 3 days before decomposing, a repeat spraying might be needed in a week or so.
No spray or other measure will undo the damage. Spraying will only stop the damage from spreading and getting worse.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean