Lemon and Lime Tree help

I have one lemon and one lime. I transplated them both last weekend. Each tree had two fruits growing. Today I checked the trees and there is a problem with the fruit. Each one looks like something is eating the rind. I am not sure what it could be (birds or squirrels) The trees are small and I do not think a squirrel can reach the fruit and the tree can not hold them. Any suggestions on what I can do to protect them? I was thinking of putting a net, simialr to the ones used for tomoato plants, around them. Each tree only stands about 3 - 3 1/2 feet tall.

Hello, Pick the fruit and let the trees recover from the transplant and don't worry about what may be eating them at this time. Is it possible that it is mechanical damage? hth -_- how no NEWS is good
Susan wrote:

Check for snails. They eat the skin of the fruit. They will also eat the bark of the tree enough to girdle and kill the tree.
See <http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107500111.html
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/