Legal/Ethical Dilemma?

Page 4 of 4
"Jeana" wrote : I think the gracious thing to do is take the vine out. It doesn't really matter which one of you is the crank. ;)
Personally I think that's overdoing it. If Michele enjoys the vine, she should keep it. As it was suggested before, I wouldn't go on their property to trim it. If it can't be trimmed from her own side, then they obviously have the right to trim it themselves from their side. Let them do it.
Bonnie
I'd like to note, that the neighbor should quit being a crybaby, and trim the damn vine themselves. I certainly would. And I certainly would not gripe about something that stupid to someone who had been kind enough to invite me over for wine. But then, I also tend to do things like pick & eat the tomatoes and cucumbers that a neighbors vines produce on MY side of the fence. And I don't gripe when her leaves blow into my tree-less yard. Murri

Bonny, You sound like the type of neighbor I am used to (before these people moved in.)
I just remembered that they have a lilac bush that overhangs my fence. I wonder if I should pick the flowers myself, or order them to trim it so that it doesn't hang over my property?
(I think I'll pick them. I love lilacs.)

My neighbor is at the foot of a huge retaining wall "cliff" & years ago he planted a row of lilacs trees down there. They now have their tops above the retaining wall, so up here on top it's like I have a little hedgerow of white, blue, and pale blue lilacs. I really appreciate them.
-paghat the ratgirl
On 1/12/05 3:58 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@soggy72.drizzle.com, "paghat"

You too - sigh - the scent of lilacs is just one of the most wonderful there is.
Cheryl

Especially if you put the florets in your hair.
Hey....who said that? Catch that guy! He went down the alley!
On 1/12/05 10:40 PM, in article 05mFd.3698$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Doug

:)
Well, thanks. You only imagine I'm sorta normal because you don't know me. I am fortunate that all my neighbors are pretty normal.
Bonnie...who wishes she had enough sun for lilacs.

I think you are being too hard on the neighbors. The original poster has planted an invasive weed (weed being a relative term -- I love my morning glories) that she happens to like, but which is invading into her neighbors property and destroying their garden. They were appropriate in broaching the subject and providing an alternative to killing the weed.
The original poster doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, and frankly, it is not "neighborly" to plant invasive plants at a boundary and expect your neighbors to suck it up when they invade.
The neighbors are not obligated to spend their time cleaning up after the poster, and it is silly to expect them to.
Some years ago, I had an apple tree that had grown large and had branches that overhung my neighbors yard. Every year, it would drop many, many apples onto their yard where they rotted and caused problems with lawn maintenance. My neighbors, quite appropriately, asked me to fix this, and I did.
The poster should realize that not everybody is obliged to share her taste in invasive plants, and make sure that she stops imposing on her neighbors.
billo