holiday
about
summer,
price
it
fence
kill
an
And definitely, DO NOT invite them to any more social gatherings at your home! What a waste of "social time"... Too bad we can't pick our neighbors; I know I'd have one that would definitely be a goner.
Cheryl
:: During teh Christmas holidays, I invited these neighbors over for a holiday : drink, and James said "Michelle, you're going to have to do something about : those vines." When I asked him what he meant, he said that the vines were : growing into their yard and are strangling their plants. : ...snip....
: TIA! : Michelle : :
I have no idea about the law in your area and an internatonal forum may not be the best place to get ideas on that side of the issue.
As others have said you may not have the best neighbours in the world; however if you really want to keep the vine AND the neighbours could you move the vine?
What I mean is put a trellis in front of the fence (say) a yard on your side and train the vine forward on to it over a period of time. You would then be able to keep it off the fence from your side. They cannot complain and the fence is still hidden by the vine that you like. This may be cheaper than the privacy fence also.
David

Use of this term always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a line is an "eyesore." Car restoration/repair in a driveway is an "eyesore." Unless the canoe was emiting noxious vapors, it probably didn't actually hurt your eyes.
It sounds as if you came up with a very satisfactory solution. For you. Were you initially aware the vine would spread? You say you trim *your* side every 2-3 weeks. Many people don't care for plants that require that much maintenance.
Your neighbor very reasonably brought to your attention that *your* plants were becoming a nuisance. Perhaps they don't regard your "magnificent backdrop" in the same light as you do. They might even regard it as an "eyesore." At any rate, it's become troublesome to them.
I believe you are wrong in thinking they are unreasonable. They very nicely said they'd be perfectly happy if you'd take care of maintenance on their side of the fence. They did *not* ask you to remove the plants entirely. They merely told you you had created a quite real problem for *them* and suggested a remedy.
Oh, for God's sake! "Eyesore" is a commonly accepted figure of speech, meaning 'unpleasant to view'. Obviously the canoe didn't cause physical pain to my eyes.

pain
Eyesore is a relative term but no matter. An eyesore up against a fence for months is a worse one than somebody's underwear on a clothes line for an hour or two.

Sheets & clothes & linens on a clothesline are kind of nostalgic to me, & not an eyesoar. In this day & age everyone has a dryer; it's been a long time since I've seen clothes out on a line. But I remember my great-grandma Elva using a very old-fashioned washing machine with a hand-turned pair of rollers for a "wringer," then everything after it had been through the wringer at least twice was hung outside on three long clotheslines. It was fun to run after the guinea-hens & chickens between the rows of hanging garments & sheets & towels, & push one's face into a stiffening sun-warmed sheet that smelled like summer.
-paghat the ratgirl

physical
for
A few still do that though not too often. I think they want the fresh airy smell.
On 1/12/05 9:18 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk,

Snip
Ah Janet - you've made my heart ache. I miss that smell and only a dingy dank back yard to hang laundry with out offending the fashion police of the neighborhood.
Cheryl
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:06:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote:

Hanging out laundry is a Good Thing in every way. It's ecologically sound, taking nothing more than solar energy to accomplish its purpose. It's thrifty. It's better for most fabrics. And laundry smells good and fresh with no additives. And yes, many people continue to use clotheslines if at all possible.

It's also an opportunity for unique play experiences. We used to hang towels outside in the winter. Of course, they'd be stiff as cardboard in a matter of minutes, and the kids thought that was the most amazing thing in the world.

All right, I was being over-critical. Yes, I know what "eyesore" means. It means something that does no actual harm but that one prefers not to look at. Part of the compromises we make in living around other people is realizing not all of them are exactly the same, and some are *bound* to do things that annoy others. Local codes generally prohibit conditions that are noxious or dangerous. I very much doubt that storing a canoe outside is one of them.
You asked if you were wrong in considering them "cranky". I think you were. If they'd wanted you to plan their landscaping, they would have asked. If you'd said when you planted it, "I want to plant this along the fence, and it may intrude on your property. Are you OK with this if I keep it trimmed?" I feel confident they would have been perfectly satisfied, even pleased. If they were "cranky," they would have yanked up the plants by the roots.
That is, their "eyesore" caused you nothing but aesthetic pain, while your plants have become a very real nuisance to them.

I had a neighbor who hung her laundry out. This woman must've traveled the world to find the ugliest panties. Believe me when I tell you.....there is an absolute definition of "eyesore". I happen to be a professionally trained and licensed connoiseur of ladies' underwear (preferably with ladies in them), and I'm here to tell you.....damn. I almost quit the profession.
On 1/11/05 1:37 PM, in article V1VEd.3462$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Doug

Doug,
If you only knew how bad I needed that laugh!
Cheryl
--
Cheryl Isaak
AHS Region 4, USDA Zone 4B/5A

The house next to mine is empty. I believe I've made you smile in the past. Git on over here, woman!
On 1/11/05 2:19 PM, in article GEVEd.3468$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Doug

Ok!
Cheryl
On 1/11/05 2:19 PM, in article GEVEd.3468$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Doug

BTW - is it snowing there! Cheryl

It's stupid here. Stupid weather. A few days ago, we had slush/rain, which froze on the ground on irregular lumps that make it impossible to go for a good walk unless you wear ice cleats. It snowed on top of that, thereby making it harder to spot the ice. Today, it's supposed to reach the 50s, low 60s tomorrow, which is perfect trout fishing weather. But noooooooo...I have to work. Just in time for the weekend, the temps will plunge into the 20s with snow.

I'd like them back, please, Doug.
Janet.

No! :-)
Michelle C wrote: But now I'm wondering who is right, and who is wrong, in this

I think the gracious thing to do is take the vine out. It doesn't really matter which one of you is the crank. ;)
Jean Zone 5 Ohio Go Tribe!
Replies to newsgroup only