LED lights

has anybody heard anything good about led light??
On 6 Apr 2007 10:26:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@kineticred.com wrote:

Yes, it's brighter than LED dark. Any specific questions?

I am thinking about getting some led grow lights. this site seems to sell some pretty inexpensive ligts atleast in bulk http://www.fuzzlight.com .
snipped-for-privacy@kineticred.com wrote:

You must have money to burn! I would not call bulbs that cost $150 (US) each ($120 in lots of ten) cheap. You can buy a LOT of regular bulbs and pay for the electricity to run them for that.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
On 6 Apr 2007 16:18:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@kineticred.com wrote:

Try posting with as much detail as you can to sci.eng.lighting. There are several people who keep up on LED technology. I wouldn't be too specific if you are planning to grow "Interesting" plants.
On 7 Apr, 00:18, snipped-for-privacy@kineticred.com wrote:

You mean YOU are trying to sell them !
http://www.gardenbazaar.com/directory/kin /
As I comment on sci.engr.lighting, they're OK for lettuce - (maybe) :-
http://www.metaefficient.com/archives/hydroponics/red-leds-to-grow-lettuce.html
(the only commercial application I have been able to find and I wonder if they paid full price for those LEDs ? ;) )

HIDs .. so even for (expensive) lettuce, their only selling point (outside of a laboratory) is lumen maintenance / longevity.... but the payback time surely has to be a decade or so ...
I reckon fluorescents are the best solution for domestic salad production.
On 6 Apr 2007 10:26:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@kineticred.com wrote:

Most of them are used for ambient or atmosphere lighting, not lighting a pathway. If they are hard wired, they may be much brighter than the solar LED units they sell.
If you want to try them, buy them from www.qvc.com and for thirty days if you don't like them you get a no questions asked full refund, less shipping the items back.
they are cheap to run per lumen they dont burn out for thousands of hours (10,000) they typically emit only a limited spectrum so it is really important to make sure the spectrum is blue with a bit of red and the intensity is enough for growing plants. Ingrid