Leaking hose fitting problem

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, John McGaw wrote:

Two faucets and every single sprinkler, hand sprayer, "Y" connector, timer, etc. does the same exact thing. Even when my wife attaches something the same thing happens. So if I'm doing something horribly wrong we're both doing it. I've been a home owner for over 15 years and have never had trouble like this.

First it was drips. Then it was leaks. Then it was the spraying. I replaced the washers. No change. I replaced the hoses and accessories. No change. I've tried washers from both Home Depot and Lowe's. No difference (other than the color of the washers).
--
John Mayson < snipped-for-privacy@mayson.us>
Austin, Texas, USA

Is it possible that as you are aging, you have less strength in your hands? Have you tried tightening the hoses with pliers?
John Mayson wrote:

You're obviously left handed. I've yet to meet a lefty who has mechanical ability. Did you know that there are no left handed machine tools, not even sewing machines, and for very good reason. Even keyboards are made for righties. Lefties can barely write legibly, not even their own name. Ask a right handed friend to attach all your hose fittings, they won't leak... I'm not kidding.
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I am right handed. :-)
--
John Mayson < snipped-for-privacy@mayson.us>
Austin, Texas, USA

Well, then you're afflicted with Klutzitis. LOL Ask a neighbor to make the attachments to see what happens.
John Mayson wrote: ...

not tight enough.
songbird

You talking garden hose or OB-GYN?
When hose fittings are clean (no grit), not distorted, and washers are supple then hand tightening is all that should be used... tightening with pliers destroys the fittings. And cheapo bargain basement hoses have distorted fittings right out of the box.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Brooklyn1 wrote:

No comment. ;-)

I've thought of all of that.
As I said a moment ago, I'm going to visit a real locally-owned hardware store. Hopefully the old-timers who work there will know more than the 23 year-old whose probably doesn't even own a hose.
John
--
John Mayson < snipped-for-privacy@mayson.us>
Austin, Texas, USA

Go to a large plant nursery that sells gardening supplies... bring your hose and hose nozzle and have them fit a proper washer. I like the molded silicone washers the ones with tiny tabs on the perimeter that help center them, the stamped washers are typically old, dried out and brittle. And bargain basement hoses almost always leak at the fittings. Check your hose bib for nicks at the face of the threaded portion, you can smooth the face with a piece of emery wrapped on a wood block, do the same with the male hose ends. People bump those hose bibs with a lawnmower, etc. and drop the hoses so the fitting strikes a stone/pavement and nicks... doesn't take much to damage that soft brass and with cheapo hoses it's thin formed crap, not machined castings.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Brooklyn1 wrote:

That's not a bad idea. Maybe once I had identified the correct washer I can buy a few and they'll work elsewhere.
I understand about the nicks and dings and such. But when it happened with a hose that went directly from my car to giving me the same shooting stream of water I decided it probably wasn't my hose.
Could there be something goofy with my water pressure? I haven't noticed any changes.
John
--
John Mayson < snipped-for-privacy@mayson.us>
Austin, Texas, USA

Not your water pressure. Like I already said, the bargain basement hoses with formed couplings are typically out of round when new and their threads are poorly formed, it's nearly impossible for those to make a seal... and they are very easy to cross thread. You need the kind of hose with machined threads, those will have a hex for tightening, not round with knurls.... and still do NOT use a wrench or pliers on the hex.... lightly hand tight is plenty to make a seal (over tightening will distort the coupling causiing a permanent leak), those cast brass couplings are soft and over tightening will deform them... some will have a plastic cap on the coupling to help old farts with arthitic hands... but NEVER use tools on garden hose. I like Swan hoses: http://www.swanhose.com/index.shtml
Go get a pair of good hose connectors, and the little hose clamps that look bands of perforated metal with a screw fitting.
Cut off the coupling end of two hoses that leak, and install the new couplings with the hose clamps.
Test to see if they leak. Bet they won't unless the hose material is so rigid and sun damaged that you can't tighten the clamps properly.
If that works, replace the other stuff.
Put on a new hose bib or use some teflon pipe tape at the old hose bib.
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId 052&storeId001&langId=-1&divisionrmTek&productId"529 http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId 052&storeId001&langId=-1&divisionrmTek&productId)5439
I prefer the fixed rather than swivel connectors.
Kay

And teflon tape only helps on tapered pipe threads... hose fittings use straight pipe threads, the tape will cause leaks and/or make leaks worse. Tapered pipe threads are designed to be torqued down with a wrench... never use any tool to torque down straight pipe threads other than moderate hand pressure, the compression washer makes the seal... over tightening damages the washer and the fitting. Also be sure not to place strain on a garden hose or the fitting will leak, and you will damage the hose... don't attempt to stretch it... use a longer hose. I don't buy garden hose longer than 50" lengths, they're easier to handle and cost less to replace.