Leaf Fall, composting and special offer!

I have a huge oak tree and a silver birch, both of which overhang my back garden so at this time of year all I spend my time in the garden doing is picking up leaves then shoving them in the composter.

Then last week I found a special offer on a leaf blower on a Facebook page for a business that sells leaf blowers and vacuums (seddondirect). What used to take me a couple of hours now takes only 30 minutes!

For anyone wanting a quicker solution to hand picking leaves at this time of year I would seriously recommend this solution and grab yourselves the discount by finding the company on Facebook - made it cheaper for me!

Reply to
floss2205

Oaks typically hold their leaves until spring. Birch leaves are small, thin, drop late, and by then are mere wisps that simply disappear from the wind. I never rake leaves, the same one who puts them there takes them away.

Leaves were about half down yesterday, they'll blow away before the first snow:

Brooklyn1

spring. The Black and reds are almost all down now. I rake in /blow in about another 2 weeks here. Been known to have piles of leaves about for kids aka Trick or treaters to stomp thru.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Here we have Tulip Poplar.

Giant, leaf covered, Tulip Poplar. Leaves come down like snow when it rains, (like today).

Removing leaves usually spans a period of 5 weekends, with at least 1 full day devoted to the task.

The lawn services use a combination of back pack blowers and walk behind blowers. These can get the leaves to the curb where they either rake or bring in a vacuum truck.

For stubborn homeowners (like me), the back pack blower is pretty much required. A walk behind would help but I don't have one. Half the job is getting the piles of leaves into the back yard for compost.

Right now I'm using a wheeled Rubber Maid 45 gallon trash can. I'd like something about twice the size with a larger opening, but so far I haven't found anything.

Reply to
despen

Well, just found one:

$465, wow.

Reply to
despen

I rake leaves onto a big tarp, then drag the tarp. Saves 5-10 trips with a wheelie and all the loading and unloading that goes with the wheelie.

Una

Reply to
Una

The times I've had a sizable amount of leaves I'd use a leaf rake or blower to put them into a pile, than pass over them a few times with a rotary mower to chop them up. Then there was far less volume to bag/haul. Once deposited the chopped leaves are far less likely to blow about.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Ungainly and doesn't hold any more than a 45 Gal container which can be stuffed.

Reply to
despen

On 04 Nov 2010, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote in rec.gardens:

Me, too. There's a woodsy area at the back of my yard, so I just drag the many tarps-full of leaves up there. Those big piles compact flat by spring - you wouldn't know there were 20+ years of leaves up there.

Reply to
Nil